does a baby sleeping through the night depend on his weight?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 3:06 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• No
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:08 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• No
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 3:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Nope...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:49 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Id say not. My son was sleeping thriugh the night at 6 weeks and he was probubly like 11 pounds. My friends daughter is 10 months old at 20lbs and still doesnt sleep through the night. Its whenever that child is developmentally ready. No matter thier weight, or what you feed them :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 4:01 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• "# By four months, you can expect your baby to sleep seven or even eight hours at a stretch. That’s because most four-month-old babies have reached that magic weight of 11 pounds, which means, metabolically speaking, they don't really need a nighttime feeding (though they may well demand one!).
    # If your baby is still waking to eat into his fifth or sixth month, you can be pretty sure he's not really hungry. He's just used to his midnight snack and the sweet dose of Mommy that comes with it."

That's just something I found from googling and it pretty much mirrors my experience with my kids - once they hit about 11 lbs (at 2 months) they were sleeping around 8 hours/night. Just for reference sake, that was taken from the What to Expect website.

Answer by missanc at 4:08 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Nope. DD didn't STTN until she was closer to 16 lbs (9m/o). DS STTN around 9lbs (9 weeks). And technically, STTN is only 5-6 hours at a stretch.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 4:48 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Oh, and that part about them not being hungry, just wanting time with mommy; that's HORRIBLE advice! How on earth is someone going to tell another person (baby or not) "you're not hungry, go back to bed"?!? I am almost 30y/o and I get up almost every night for a drink of water because I am thirsty. How could an adult deny a baby a drink if they are thirsty??? And what about growth spurts? DD is 1 and has been up all night nursing for the past 2 nights. She's growing. Denying food to a baby can lead to Failure to Thrive and dehydration :(
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 4:54 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• nope. my daughter slept through the night from 3 weeks on, and she had just hit 3 pounds. my son didn't sleep through til 10 1/2 months, and he was about 20 pounds at that point.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 5:22 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• LOL No way. My DD is 23 pounds and almost 14 months old. She has never slept through the night.
    I don't know how on earth whoever wrote that info could KNOW that a baby isn't hungry in the night just because they are 4 or 5 months.
    That is like someone saying to me "Sorry. I don't believe you have to pee in the middle of the night. You are 32 now so you are able to go 8 hours w/o peeing" stupid
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 5:35 PM on Jun. 14, 2010