As your babysitter, would you be mad at me for this or consider it to be my fault?

My child had a fever of 103.
I was scheduled to babysit for a family. They have an infant and a 2 year old.
I txtd the mom, couldnt reach her. Finally I called the dad.I told him that I did NOT MIND if their kids still came over. I just wanted them to be aware that my child was sick and I wasn't sure what it was.
After a few calls back and forth, it was decided that they werent going to bring the kids that day. The mom left work early so the dad could go to work.
Now the mom has been suspended from work over leaving early that day! I feel so awful about it. The mom seems like shes upset with me about it.But really, is this my fault? I told them they could still bring them that day. I just wanted them to know that I had a sick kid over here. I'd want to know if someone was sick where I was bringing my child before I brought them. :( I don't know, I just feel bad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• Sick kids are af act of life. She shoulda been prepared for this situation. No this is not your fault.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:40 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• nope, not your fault
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:33 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• nope not your fault
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 3:34 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• It sounds like she did not bother to get permission to leave early so it falls to her as far as fault is concerned.
    Anonymous

• Any rational person wouldn't blame you for what happened. You called in order to look out for the best interest of her children. It is her responsibility to make sure she has a back-up plan.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 3:35 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Not your fault! You did everything you could possibly do! She is just looking to blame someone!
    Anonymous

• I would say yes, you needed to plan properly, it my policies no kids were allowed in my home if they were sick.

The proper thing for you would have been to set up a plan if this happened(of course its going to happen!).

I gave the parent another local drop in provider to go to if I could not have her kids. I got a list from the agency that certified me.

Losing a job and being like that is half your fault, you are supposed to be thier provider, they depended on you, put thier trust in you.

You should have had a plan. Although this has happened to me before, the children had another place to go because it was planned out.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 3:41 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Your business will never work if you dont take responsability. The lest you could do next time is tell them, hey in case my kids are sick, be sure to set up an emergency provider ok?

Did you do that? Thats part of the service you provide. A professsional service anywayy.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 3:43 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• This is not your fault by any means. If she got in trouble w/ her work, she must miss a lot of work or is not a good employee anyway. I wouldn't worry about it. You told them their kids could come, they just chose not to. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 3:51 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• You did the right thing and informed them that your child was sick. You made sure they knew you could still babysit. It was THEIR call to not bring their child over, not yours. If she's suspended for leaving work early, then there's something more behind it. You don't just get suspended for leaving work early once, I don't care where you work. She had to have had a history of this. Either way, it isn't your fault and you shouldn't feel guilty. Not bringing the kids over was their choice, not yours.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:51 PM on Jun. 14, 2010