About the potatoes in my garden.....

They were planted the 2nd weekend in May.
yesterday my husband was pulling weeds around the potatoes and he accidently pulled up a yukon gold and he said it was a good size, he cleaned it off, took a bite and said it was good.
Does this mean the potatoes are ready to be dug up?...we have 3 kinds
Reds, Russets, and Yukon gold...all three rows are very tall...but I thought a person had to wait until the leaves were turning brown.
can I dig them up all summer long? dig a few at a time or do I need to wait and dig them all at once?
I hate to buy potatoes if the ones in the garden can be dug up already

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Yes, you could dig up a few here & there and use them or you could wait until the plants die and get one big harvest to use throughout the winter months. Some people will dig for tiny baby potatoes early in the season to use as "new potatoes".

If your plants are really tall, did you know that you could mound up dirt around them & cover them and they will put off new root shoots to grow more potatoes? As you mound up the dirt around them, leave a bit of the leaves sticking out on top and the plant will continue to grow up as it creates more potatoe roots out the sides. This is what we do and we get tons of potatoes every year.
    Anonymous

• Wow- thanks for the tip anon!!
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 9:22 AM on Jun. 16, 2010