Do you limit how much food your toddler eats?

My 16 month old daughter eats quite a bit of food. At least I believe she is overeating, although I am not 100% sure. She is tall and seems to be a healthy weight. About the 75th percentile for her age/height.

There are times that she can out eat me and I worry that if I don't start limiting her intake that she will become obese.

FYI- her diet is fairly healthy and well rounded. Very little junk food (usually only at grandma's)

I worry for her health and her future. Do you moms have any healthy advice or information for me?

Thanks in advance!

superclutz

Asked by superclutz at 3:45 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• DD's 2 and has a good appetite. We eat healthy foods so I'm not worried about it, she'll stop when she's full. Some days she won't eat much, other days she'll eat an adult sized portion. As long as she's not eating crap and is an active child then she should be fine.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:48 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• i do not limit what my kids eat, how am i supposed to know if they are having a growth spurt or not? like you and the first poster, we eat healthy, so i don't worry. there are no overweight issues in our family yet, and dh and i eat a lot! i think what you eat is more important than how much you eat. we do eat lots of veggies.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• No, I don't limit my toddler. But I have a toddler that eats a few bites here and there,lol. I would think at that age, they eat what they need? GOod Question though...I'd have to say get the ped's advice.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:30 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I don't limit mine, but they rarely eat a lot anyway. I do have a friend whose boys can eat an unbelievable amount of food though, and one of her son's in particular they have to set limits on, he will eat until he throws up, for some reason he never feels full. He's about 10 now I think. I don't know how they decide when he has had enough, but at some point they just say "that's enough" and don't let him get anymore.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 4:54 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Toddlers self-limit. They don't eat what they don't need. You don't need to start worrying about over-eating until 5 or 6 years old.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 5:41 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• My son is 16 months old and will eat all day if you let him. We dont limit what he eats because he is on the 20th percentile of his wieght scale. But as long as its no junk your fine. Give your child veggies and fruits for snacks. . Certain veggies are so low in calories that you actually burn calories just from chewing them.
    mandar

Answer by mandar at 11:34 PM on Jun. 14, 2010