Am I overprotective on the playground?

I don't allow my daughter to climb up and around the playground equipment. I only allow her to ride in the baby swings. She is 17 months old today and can walk, jump, and run.

I don't know if she can climb because I really have never given her the chance.

Am I being too over protective at her age? It just seems that I see other toddlers climbing and going down slides.

These activities terrify me at her age.

What are your ideas or suggestions???

superclutz

Asked by superclutz at 3:48 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you've gotta cut the cord a little mama... kids fall down and get bruised, it is part of growin up
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:49 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Let her go. Stay close by if she needs your help. But don't insist you help her. Kids will fall and get bumps and scratches but that's how they learn and grow.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 3:50 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Yeah you're being way over protective... when she's learning to climb just stand close and make sure she doesn't fall, you can even help her out a little and encourage her!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:51 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• You got to let her experiment for herself what she can and can't do mom, just stick around and supervise, but give her some space....part of being a kid is falling down and getting back up, it is practice for future reference.

Answer by older at 3:56 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• its very hard for some moms and dads to NOT be over protective. I think we would slid down the slide WITH our son for a lot longer than most, we also still hold our son's hands most often times when he walks up and down the stairs, my husband is FAR too over protective and won't even let him play with certain toys or wrestle with our son because he doesn't want him to get hurt.. its hindered him a bit already - my husbands favorite words are "be careful" and as soon as you say that to our son, he stops and doesn't even try things. he's only 2-1/2 and wont' even wipe his own tears.. its sad and I am working on changing this in our house also but please, let your LO try things and dont' do what we've done.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:57 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Let her go- just be near so she doesn't fall off a high platform. Kids need practice to build confidence and physical skills. As a mom it's your job to protect her from serious injury, but it's probably overprotective to try to protect her from everyday bumps and bruises.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:57 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• You need to let her go and explore. My SIL was the same way. She know has a 7 yr old that never wants to try new things and go play with other kids.
    Anonymous

• I think you all have a good point! I want her to try new things and not be afraid. I will loosen the cord...after a xanax.... J/K Ugh.... so hard to do!!!!

Thanks all!
    superclutz

Answer by superclutz at 4:15 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I get scared too when my daughter (15 months) wants to go on the climbers and slides at the playground. I just climb up there with her,slide down with her or pick her up and set her at the to[ of the slide and help her come down by herself or have her dad waiting at the bottom to catch her. I've tried keeping her at the safe baby swings...she won't let that happen,lol. She's a determined little girl that thinks she is a monkey and needs to climb.
    You'll let her go when your ready...she probably already is :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:27 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• how will she learn if you dont give her a chance..poor kid
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 4:55 PM on Jun. 14, 2010