How do i get my 3 year old in his own bed!

He has been with me since birth i know its my fault but mommy n daddy need time to them selves help please

Momofaprince146

Asked by Momofaprince146 at 3:54 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i ahd the same problem . what i ddi ios i did a routine. shower, potty time, brush teeth, a book. cuddles for 20 mts and then lights out. i got her to sleep on her own but then we moved and we had to share a bed again,. so now she is back to her own room and bed, i cuddle with her everynite but once she is asleep i go to my room, if she comes to my bed i send her back to her room
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:04 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Stressful!!! I know!!!

Sometimes a little fun change to their room can make him like it and want to sleep in it. I have used those glow in the dark stars and put them on the ceiling. Using a black light as a night light with some home made posters in bright colors and glo paints will show off the black light.

I have done this with my step son's room, and suggested it to friends of mine. It is inexpensive and makes their room interesting at night.

Good luck!
    superclutz

Answer by superclutz at 4:05 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Our son co-slept with us for several months after I converted his crib to a toddler bed. I finally started working with him in February to get him used to sleeping in his own bed. Persistence is the key. And routine. With my son, it starts out w/ a bedtime story (2 or 3, depending), then lights out, musical crib toy on, cuddle/rocking time w/ me. He usually sing some of his favorite nursery songs and then I'll put him to bed. At first, he would get out of bed several times and DH or I would make him go right back to bed. Sometimes I would sit in front of his door and as soon as he got up, I'd send him back. It took a few weeks, but it got easier, and tho he will sometimes get up once or twice, he generally stays in bed.

I admit, he's not completely broken of the habit of sleeping with us. He will sometimes still crawl into bed w/ us at night which really doesn't bother us, so we let him stay.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• My son has pretty much slept with us since birth, we have been trying for so long to get him in his own bed. One thing I tried at first was telling him if he slept in his bed one night by himself he would get a surprise the next day. That worked for a while until one night Dad was too sleepy to take him back to his room when he made it to our bed, so now we have started telling him if he sleeps in his bed for 3 nights by himself then he can have a special night and sleep with us! He loves this idea and so far it is working great!

I would say you need to first get your son on a routine like the first mom suggested, and then try to reward him when he does sleep in his own bed. My son has always started in his bed he just makes his way to our room in the middle of the night and we usually don't wake up when he comes in to send him back to his room. Good Luck!

Zara Nichols
    Helping Moms Work From Home
    www.4AHappyLife.com
    ZaraN

Answer by ZaraN at 7:28 AM on Jun. 16, 2010