Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smell in my sippy cups

How do I get the horrible smell out of my playtex sippy cups. there the ones that have the plastic stoppers you put in the lid. There also only a month old so thats not the issue but even when i wash them right away and soak them in hot water they still smell!!

Answer Question
 
mandar

Asked by mandar at 3:56 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 4 (33 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • Try letting them air out after washing them. Mine do it too so I started washing and rinsing REALLY well then I leave the peices upside down on a washcloth in the kitchen. Works for me. GL
    leslie_zoe2010

    Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 3:59 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

  • I am assuming that you know to remove the stoppers and clean them separately. Beyond that, plastic does hold smells. It is unfortunate but true.

    If the smell really bothers you, it is safe to soak them in a 1/100 bleach solution and rinse well. This will help with the smell some.

    The silicone stoppers will not fare as well if you use the bleach solution on them, just a FYI.
    superclutz

    Answer by superclutz at 4:00 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

  • If you have a dishwasher that will sanitize them & remove any smells (top rack only). If not fill the sink with enough water to submerge them and add few cap fulls of bleach & let them soak. Then rinse very well.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

  • i used bleach as a needed and if really needed boil em
    debmom07

    Answer by debmom07 at 4:05 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

  • I bleach mine once a week and it keeps the smell away.
    carsonsmommytam

    Answer by carsonsmommytam at 4:08 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

  • I would clean them w vineager and rinse in bleach and let air dry. Rinse very well...
    chica679

    Answer by chica679 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

  • Do the bleach & water soak people suggested and drip dry them. When you store them in the cupboard, make sure the valves are out and the lids are off so they can air out a little.
    raybird1031

    Answer by raybird1031 at 4:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

  • Use vinigar! I had to do that with my sons. Wash it, put a little vinigar in it and then wash it again to take out the vinigar taste. Good luck!
    Shelii

    Answer by Shelii at 4:59 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

  • Don't use bleach. Use vinegar. Boil a pot(whatever size you want depending on how many cups) of water with a cup or vinegar. Let the cups and stoppers boil for about a minute. Let air dry. The vinegar is a natural disinfectant plus deoderizer. The vinegar smell will disappear once they dry. Vinegar is so great. The other day I ran it through my coffee pot bc it was clogged. Cleared it right out. The only down side was I couldn't go in my kitchen til it was through bc the fumes were crazy. Probably should have used water and vinegar lol
    crazymom21

    Answer by crazymom21 at 1:56 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN