Why do some moms on here enjoy correcting your spelling?

I was just reading a post and the lady actually sat there and typed out each word and the correct spelling of the word. It just seems a little, well, like a bitchy thing to do IMO.

Why do you think they do it? They feel the need to micro manage? Maybe they want to prove that they are smarter? I'm sure SOMETIMES they may actually be trying to help the poster, but most of the time its really just rude. What do you think?

leslie_zoe2010

Asked by leslie_zoe2010 at 4:03 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• it's because they are bored. they dont have anything better to do.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:04 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• maybe she had big dreams of having a career as a school teacher or something but instead she is stuck at home with her kids and the only thing she can do is correct other moms spelling instead of school children.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:05 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I have no idea. If I get the point the other person is trying to make I don't care about grammar or spelling. It's not like them rewriting or correct that person is doing any good. Either they already know and it's a typo or they don't and the bratty person that's correcting isn't helping.
    Anonymous

• I think you may have the anwer to your own question. In what you said " it is as if they have to prove they are marters". I have found it rather annoying myself.
    debmom07

Answer by debmom07 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Lol they just want to start drama. Who cares if someone misspells something? I'm sure we all have w/o realizing it!

Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I feel like I am a person who has decent grammar and spelling. On message boards such as cafemom, I am usually multi-tasking and keep writing fairly non-formal. When I have a toddler running around, I am not going to concern myself with spelling, grammar, and punctuation.

Mommies are not on cafemom to be graded, we are here for a break and some help! Please do not make our lives any more stressful by trying to play 8th grade English teacher.

Please keep an open mind, some of us may not have the same educational background as you grammar queens. If you are smart enough to correct spelling, then you should be smart enough to figure out the message that was being conveyed and respond appropriately... as an adult.
    superclutz

Answer by superclutz at 4:12 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I think that when a text format is your only means of communicating with a large group of people, it is important to make sure you at the very least hit the spell check. This text is your "voice" here in cyber-land; if I can't read what you're saying, I can't "hear" you. If I can't "hear" you, then your message, plea for help, advice, great story... is lost on me and a waste of the author's time. A few misspelled words isn't going to turn off most people, but an entire journal of bad spelling and grammar will.
    I don't know why other women decide to point out each misspelled word in other women's journals; I agree that it is tacky. BUT, I also think that if you're making or debating a point, proper spelling is very important. I'm a wretched speller, but you would never know it because of spell check!
    Guinhyvar

Answer by Guinhyvar at 4:16 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• This happens on so many message boards! Any news stations website, it's so stupid. Who cares? Unless you accidentally misspell something which looks lke another word who cares?
    Anonymous

• I don't know, I think it's pretty annoying reading posts full of misspellings! Seriously, sometimes it's hard to even figure out what people are trying to say!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 4:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• If you aren't smart enough to use correct grammar and spelling you certainly don't need to have kids.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 4:31 PM on Jun. 14, 2010