How can i get my son to use the bathroom when needed?

Hes 10 anfd for some reason he wont go poop when he needs to. He holds it until he has an accident. We've gone to the Dr. and tried other things to get him to be more responsible, but nothing seems to be working.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• My son will poop for fruit snacks, but he's 5. That's to be expected. I would use scare tactics If iwere you. Tell him all about impactions, going to the hospital, and enemas. Let him know that it's going to hurt etc. So, he might as well not hold it and use the toilet.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 4:10 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Make him wear diapers. Unless he is mentally or physically handicapped, he is quite old enough to use the bathroom appropriately.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:10 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• My little brother used to be like this and he would only do it when he wasn't given enough attention at home. But he came and stayed w me while my mom went on vacation to Hawaii and I whooped his ass when he did it and made him clean it up..He never did it again to me or my mom.. Maybe he's not getting enough discipline as well lay down the law with him boys need it especially at that age...
    Anonymous

• Is he perhaps constipated and cant help it? My son is 6 and we went though this! He is very mature, smart, and was pooping his pants everyday or sometimes more than once.'

Finally figured out that he had a blockage and the poop behind the blockage was seeping out around it and he could not feel it b/c the pressure was making him sort of numb in the anal area.

Got him started on some stool softeners and increased fruits and veggies,,,,,no more problem!

WE thought he was holding it in on purpose too!

If this is not the case then he needs some SERIOUS discipline or maybe a good case of embarrassment. But I would make SURE THAT IT WAS NOT a medical issue first.

Get him some Miralax, add a spoonful to his drink in the morning, everymorning for a week or two, see if the problem clears up...if it does, then this could be your issue.

Also, if your son doesnt drink enough water it could be causing constipation
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:33 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• seems a little odd! It must be medical!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I made a Dr. appt for tomarrow just to double check its not medical, then i dont know what else to do. Everything mentioned above (replys) we have tried. except the attention because he lives with his dad and his dad plays video games alot, but i give him tons of attention on the weekends. btw, hes coming to spend the summer with me, hopefully he will get what he needs here.
    bnnic

Answer by bnnic at 6:09 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I did this when I was a kid, I forget what age I stopped I think about 7 or 8. I had IBS and we didn't know it pretty much it was uncomfortable to go so I tried to avoid it, which obviously had the opposite result.

My mother would make me clean any mess myself. Then she altered my diet, we found out that I was also lactose intolerant and after cutting dairy out of my diet I was able to go more regularly. I also had to drink Miralax at least once a day. Someone else suggested stool softners, we never tried those but I would say they're worth a try.
    Anonymous

• just in case yall check back, we went to the dr yesterday and it turns out to be endacghjkg....cant think of it!! but its medical, thank God. Now we are cleaning him out and focusing on that for the next week!! thanks for all your advice!
    bnnic

Answer by bnnic at 3:43 PM on Jun. 16, 2010