Would you spend this much to rent a movie?

My husband and I are opening a video rental store. We are planning on charging 2.99 for new releases for a three day rental, 1.99 for the older movies for three days and .99 for childrens movies for three days. Does this sound like a fair price?

kiko2mommy

Asked by kiko2mommy at 4:19 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• yes,but in the days of pay per view and netflix,I don't know how well your business will do.
    Anonymous

• In our little town, there is one Redbox and it is almost never used. They are actually taking it down. As for netflix, well, not alot of people use them. Our Movie Gallery only closed because they were paying almost $5,000 a month for rent. My husband used to work there. They made a good profit every month.
    kiko2mommy

Answer by kiko2mommy at 4:22 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• NOPE we have netflix and pay about 13.00 a month for as many movies as me, my dh and my two kids can watch!

WELL WELL worth the money! Renting movies is going out fast b/c of neflix and companies like them :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:23 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Good prices, but a bad business to go into. All the video stores around here have closed - even ones that have been in business for 20+ years. I think even Blockbuster left town. With the internet, Netflix etc, video stores have gone the way of the dinosaur. Honestly, even if you could get that business off the ground, I don't think it'd last more than a year or two.
    Anonymous

• Yes. I would love it if you were opening up your store here. Movie Gallery, which we loved, is closed now. All we have is a very lousy Hastings with nasty employees and three redbox locations, one of which was used to rip off user's bank cards. We don't use Netflix and neither does anyone we know. It was taking at least a week to get movies from them and it was never the first or second choice that was received.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:26 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• We have the instant streaming though our WII system and its included in the 13 dollar package and all you have to do is click and watch a movie on your big tv....1000's of titles to choose from including some really cool older cartoons like Inspector Gadget and Fraggle Rock. HAHAHAHA! My kids love em!
    Anonymous

• Yes, those are very good prices and I'm sorry to be paying Netflix 16/month. Our Blockbuster and Hollywood went under so I had no choice. There is something, especially for the kids, about being able to look at the video cases and read them. I miss that....it made picking a movie sort of exciting and now I have to sift through stuff on the net. Good luck!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:36 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Your store won't last very long.
    Anonymous

• YES I WILL !
    lightbulbe

Answer by lightbulbe at 4:47 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I just saw that Blockbuster is also starting to put out machines like RedBox has done. And I think those are only $1/day rentals...at least the RedBox by us is only $1
    Anonymous