What are the chances of an expired pregnancy test giving a false positive?

8 out of 8 times actually.

spbeta

Asked by spbeta at 4:19 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• Well if it is expired it could not work right. I would get one that is not expired.
    Anonymous

• I plan on getting a new one as soon as my daughter wakes up from her nap. Just wondering if anyone thinks all 8 expired tests would show positive.
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 4:24 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• If anything an expired test would be negative when it would otherwise show positive. Congrats!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• That is what I am leaning towards. Even if I had gotten at least a few negative ones I might not believe it but with all of them clearly having double lines I think we are going to be welcoming baby #2 much sooner than we were anticipating. DD #1 took us 3 years and multiple rounds of fertility drugs to conceive and she is only 9 months old! If it turns out I am pregnant this is good news but it's going to take me a minute to adjust to it before I can appreciate it fully.
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 4:32 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• i'm with ati. it would more likely show negative. congrats!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:41 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• The chances of a false positive are very rare. That being said there is a reason they are experied.

I am thinking you probably are pregnant but I would get 2 new ones. Test tonight and if it's negative then test again with first morning urine.
    Anonymous

• False positives almost never happen, I don't even think the expiration date passing would enable 8 in a row. Congratulations :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:03 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• It would appear that false positives can and do happen with expired tests! The new test I bought is negative, I will use the other one in the pack tomorrow morning just to be sure but for now it looks like I'm not pregnant. I can't help but be relieved since we are just not quite ready for a second one yet.
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 6:06 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I was going to say that if ONE could show a false positive, than why couldn't all 8? I was also going to say....why in the world would you have 8 expired pregnancy tests. If you are not ready for the second one...then I am glad things turned out the way you wanted them to.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 7:09 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I spent 3 years trying to conceive so I bought pee sticks in bulk! I had stashed a few away with a fertility monitor and came across them when I was cleaning.
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 7:20 PM on Jun. 14, 2010