Metformin/dosage

Wondering if there are any current ladies on Metformin? Also if they have any ideas was is the recommended starting out amount that would be prescribed. I am thinking about ordering some online and would like to know. Thank you.

Traci1979

Asked by Traci1979 at 5:38 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• You can NOT order metphormin online. It's a PRESCRIPTION for insulin resistance given to diabetics and women who have PCOS with insulin resistance.

If you have PCOS or diabetes that is affecting you being able to get pregnant you need to talk to a doctor.

If you find a place to "buy it online" then it's NOT legal and probably NOT metphormin in it's true form.
    Anonymous

• I agree with PP. If you find a place that is letting you buy it online they are either scamming you or running a very illegal operation.

How do you know you need metphormin?

Metphormin is not a fertility drug. It's a diabetic drug. Like PP if you don't have insulin resistance caused by your PCOS or another issues that causes issues with insulin then you do not want to take this drug. It could make you very sick.

That is why it is a prescription.

Anonymous

• Ya, LOL, I don't know where you heard that you could get Metphormin online but that is definately not true. It's a prescription.

I mean do you even have an insulin issue?

Like the second PP said it's not a fertility drug. It's not going to do anything for you unless you are insulin resistant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• People probably can order it online, but there's no guarantee that you will actually get Metformin and not something else that could be harmful to you. It's just not worth the risk. Go see your Dr and they will determine if you need it and then they will determine how much you should take. It can help with fertility if you are insulin resistant, which is often a symptom of PCOS, because it can help regulate periods. It works great for some and not at all for others. Good luck! : )
    Anonymous

• Anon :26.

I think it's important to make it clear that Metphormin is NOT a fertility drug. It works to regulate insulin and the regulation of insulin is what allows your body to begin having regular cycles again or allows other drugs such as Clomid to work.

It should NOT be taken by anyone who does not have a prescription for it and it should not be taken by anyone who does not have issues with insulin.
    Anonymous

• I take metformin and it is NOT a fertility drug! It is a horrid drug and it makes you really ill when you begin it! It is a DIABETIC drug and used in those with insulin resistence. I have PCOS which is why I HAVE to take it. Trust me, this is not a drug you WANT to take!
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 5:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Anon 26 here. Where did I say it is a fertility drug?! Where did anyone say it is a fertility drug? Can you not read, :52? I told the OP to go to their Dr and the Dr would determine IF the OP needs it! Read before you jump down my throat! I have PCOS and insulin resistance, my Dr prescribed Metformin and I buy it at the pharmacy. A few months after I started taking Metformin, I finally had a period and became pregnant the next month after three years of trying. Research, studies, and my Dr said that it can HELP with fertility IF you are insulin resistant. I did not say it is a fertility drug!

Anonymous

• :48

Calm down. I was NOT jumping down anyone's throat. LOL. I was simply making it clear because it seems to me like the OP just saw a post where some woman said she took Metphormin and then got pregnant so she thought she'd order some up.

The reason I said "I think it's important to make it clear" is because you said "it can help with fertility if you are insulin resistant" but the reality is that it doesn't help with fertility. It regulates the insulin resistance issues which then allows the body work properly.

You can unbunch your panties now....LOL...wow.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• The reality is that it does help with fertility if it it helps one to ovulate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• It doesn't help you to ovulate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It regulates the insulin. Your body normalizing itself or it being combined with Clomid is what helps you ovulate.

Stating that it helps you ovulate implies that it's a fertility aid when it's not.
    Anonymous