Would it be wrong of me to write my time as a SAHM down as being an "Au pair" on job aplications?

My history is blank for like 3 years if I don't.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would put in the slot... SAHM, employed by the "your last name" family. Then I would list some of your duties. teacher, housekeeper, driver, and so on. I bet the hiring person would laugh and it would give you an edge.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:58 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Yes it would be wrong. You are not the first person to get a job after staying home. And you can emphasize the valuable skills you learned, like multi tasking, time management, organization
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 5:59 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• LOL Do it! haha Well, I had this come up a few months back. I had a blank also for 8 years. In my interview I did not say I was a SAHM, I simply said "During this time WE planned a family."
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:06 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• They will figure it out and you will look stupid. Dont.
    Anonymous

• An Au Pair is someone who gets a special Visa to come to the US for 1 year and take classes in their spare time while they do childcare as their main job. You would look dumb and like a liar if you put that down on your resume and you were not one.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 6:09 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• It wouldn't be smart to try to make it look like being a SAHM was a paid job, but it would be a good idea to mention somewhere on the application that the reason you have not worked the last 3 years is because you have stayed home with your children.
    Anonymous