WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY 4 YEAR OLD??

I have no idea what is going on with my kid!! He is potty trained with the exception that he still wears a pull up at night. But lately he pees his pants when he is in trouble, when he is too busy playing, watching TV or playing video games. And just FYI his tv and video game times are limited each day. We've tried eliminating his privledges but he is still having frequent "accidents" Any ideas or advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I wouldn't eliminate his privileges. I'd be a responsible adult and make sure he goes to the bathroom periodically. He's 4. He thinks the world is about playing. Remind him to go to the bathroom. He's not a teen.
    Anonymous

• can be different things, i know he's young but maybe stress, if something is different at home or school good or bad, his body may not be handling it as well as someone older. maybe his body is still trying to adjust. Maybe his pediatrician can recommend a pediatric urologist to make sure that his urinary system is ok. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• u need an egg timer/stop watch...... during the day he should sit on the toilet and at least TRY to pee every hour or maybe 90 minutes. He must need a reminder (like a dinger bell) since he's so caught up in play.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:17 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I guess I have to agree w/ that anon. Removing privileges is almost cruel. It's 100% not his fault at 4 yrs old. It's either a matter of being so excited/busy with activities, a medical problem, or simply the bladder muscles aren't totally firmed up yet.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:18 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• If he's doing it when stressed then remove the stress. R U yelling at him or threatening him with punishment? Little kids can't take stress. Is dad getting drunk and causing scenes? R U fighting with neighbors or family? There are many reasons little kids get startled or upset and wet themselves. Maybe he's scared to go to the bathroom alone. take him. Fix the negative environment, ask him if he has to go to the bathroom when you know he probably should go and take him.
    Anonymous

• my dd is almost 5 and she does it if she's too busy to go. she knows when she needs to go and is normally really good about it, she even gets up and goes by herself in the middle of the night. i always ask her when she has an "accident" what happened, and the answer is normally "well, i was too busy coloring," or something like that. and she won't tell me she'll just sit there in it. if she was trying to get to the bathroom, she doesn't get in trouble. but if she was just "too busy" then i take whatever she was doing away for a little while (like an hour or so). it really does help.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 6:29 PM on Jun. 14, 2010