Need help with sunscreen!

My LO has eczema and all 3 sunscreens I have tried this summer make her break out. I have used bull frog, water babies, and No Ad babies. The No Ad is hypoallergenic and is supposed to not break out children with allergies. I don't want else to use. If there is anyone who has had to deal with this I would greatly appreciate the input. I have looked at all natural and organic sunscreens and they are really expensive and the SPF ratings on them aren't any higher than 30. If anyone has suggestions please let me know. I don't want to keep her inside and I don't want her miserable either.

coala

Asked by coala at 6:18 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• aveeno makes some good ones. I have sensitive skin and I use theirs without problem. Maybe check w/the dr and see if there is an rx one they can give.
    Anonymous

• you don't need to go any higher than 30. try the organic. it may be more pricey but it will help your child.
    Anonymous

• a brand called lizard is what my friends son uses who has eczema
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 6:20 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• The SPF of 30 is fine, but you'll just have to put it on more often. If the only way to avoid breakouts is the expensive stuff, then get a bottle to use when you can't keep her in the shade more. Get a big beach umbrella for over the sand box or where ever she'll spend most of her time outside playing.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 6:21 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Try one of the Neutrogena sunscreens. My son has extremely sensitive skin, as do I, and we are both able to use the Neurtrogena sunscreens with no problem. I've used everything from an SPF 30 to SPF 100 and none of them have irritated our skin.
    Anonymous

• Try either Neutrogena or Aveeno Baby. You should also definitely check out Halo's Technical Comfort clothing. Not only is is designed to help with eczema and sensitive skin, but it has SPF 30 and helps regulate LO's temp. For more info, go to:
    https://www.halocomforts.com/
    smittendorff

Answer by smittendorff at 7:11 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Our son has eczema. We had the same problem you are. His pedi reccomended the Aveeno brand. We used it and NEVER had a problem with it. Now that he's 5 we can use pretty much any brand we want with out problems.
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 9:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• do you know what your daughter's eczema triggers are? it must be an ingredient common to all the sunscreens you have tried so far. i believe that my daughter reacts to coconut! it is in everything, soap, lotion, shampoo, laundry detergent...we just bought a bar of soap that had no coconut listed, but it had vegetable glycerine, which turns out is made form coconut oil!

anyhow, if you can find something with very few ingredients you might be better off.
    does your daughter actually burn if she is in the sun? my kids don't, so we don't use sunscreen.
    good luck to you!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:19 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• My daughter suffers from eczema and we've had the same issues re: sunscreen. I also breakout like crazy from the brand name sunscreens. I recently bought the Aubrey Organics Natural Sun SPF 20 Face & Body Unscented Sunscreen and it's worked well for us. A bit pricey but a 4-oz tube will last us the whole summer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:53 AM on Jun. 15, 2010