Follow up question: what happens during the ultrasound if I did have a miscarriage?

If you haven't seen my original posts, I've been spotting w/clots and have an ultrasound appointment tomorrow morning.
I'd like to hear from other's experience what I can expect if the news is bad. I had spotting with my last pregnancy and I had to got in for an ultrasound and everything was good. I got to see the baby for the first time and it was exciting. Of course, it was just a little spotting, nothing like this time.
Does the tech leave, and the doc come in? I'm nervous! Also, what happens after the news, do I have to get treatment? i'm about 7 weeks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I hope so much that it's not a miscarriage. I just went through one in April and it's still incredibly difficult. I had 2 close friends that had a miscarriage as well so they told me about their ultrasound so I had a hunch. The tech was very quiet. If it's a healthy baby, they'll point out everything, the heartbeat, the limbs, etc. If they're quiet it's probably not a good sign. Mine was being rather quiet, so I specifically asked her if she saw a heartbeat, and she told me no.
    I was taken into an office to sit for a few minutes unti the dr. on call could see me. It only took about 15 min. total from the end of the ultrasound till the dr. saw me. I went for a 2nd opinion ultrasound a few minutes later, and I opted to have the surgery the next day. For me, the healing could truly begin when I was able to start trying again (which is this week!). cont'd...
    cschwanger

Answer by cschwanger at 8:07 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• My ultrasound was done by my Dr actually, when I lost my first DD (5months) the tech was only checking to make sure I delivered everything so there wouldn't be an infection. Usually if you have the US done in a hospital the tech won't really tell you much, but they get the results to the Dr pretty fast. If it is a MC usually they check to see if anything is still in the uterus, if it's clear then you can start dealing with it, if it's not they may have to do a D&C, I never had to have one so I can't offer advice on that. Either way, I hope that it's not a MC, but if you need someone to talk to message me.
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 6:27 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• My ultrasound was taken before I knew anything was wrong... it looked empty like I was never pregnant... I was very shocking. About 4 days later I had the actual miscarrage. Good luck dear.
    SupriseImPregy

Answer by SupriseImPregy at 6:43 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I didn't want to have to wait another week or 2 to get the process started. In my mind, the sooner, the baby was out of there, the sooner the process could get started again. honestly, I am glad I did it too.

If you did infact miscarry, they will most likely give you the option of surgery or not. Good luck with everything, and God's blessings to you - it is a horrible experience that no one should go through, and there is no explanation why some women have healthy pregnancies and others don't. But in all of it, I trust that God has a bigger and better plan for me. If this has happened to you too, I'm sure he has something in mind for you as well! Message me if you'd like to talk.
    cschwanger

Answer by cschwanger at 8:11 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I have been through a miscarriage and that is in fact the case my heart truly goes out to you. The person who stated that during a healthy pregnancy the tech points out hands and a heartbeat is very right. I had an ultrasound at about 8 weeks. there was a strong heartbeat, however there was a problem. There was what appeared to be two babies and only one heartbeat. The tech told me after I prodded her because for a regular 8 week ultrasound they were taking a long time and had pulled others into the room. When I finally started to spot I called the doctor and they gave me another ultrasound which showed no heartbeat. They gave me the option to have the surgery. Infact, it was highly recommended and said I would probably end up with a D&C anyway. This was between 11 and 12 weeks and the baby was about the same size as in the other ultrasound. Best Wishes and I hope everything is in your favor.
    ambernicole531

Answer by ambernicole531 at 9:58 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I am so sorry sweetie that you are going through this. I have three healthy children all from healthy pregnancies followed by four unexplained miscarriages. I am now 6 weeks pregnant again and hoping for a better outcome this time. Like a couple of the other posters said, message me if you need to talk. Big hugs to you.
    MrsWilmot

Answer by MrsWilmot at 10:11 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• OP here. Thanks ladies. I will keep you posted!
    Anonymous