OMG I'm about to lose it!

My daughter is 2. She is a great kid, but she is about to drive me up the wall.

For the last week or so she has REFUSED to take naps. I just spent two hours laying with her, cuddling watching TV, not watching TV, nursing, etc. Finally I gave up. That wouldn't be so bad all on it's own, but she REALLY does still need a nap during the day, or else she falls asleep at dinner time, wakes up at bed time and then is up until 11:00. And she's CRANKY when she doesn't get a nap. And she's not listening and she's throwing fits and she's refusing to eat anything but junk. I've never spanked her but it's getting awfully tempting lol.

What do I DO?! I'm about at the end of my rope here.

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 7:16 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take a deep breath mama, and just walk away to another room or put her in another room for a 5 min or so. Don't loose it that will only make you feel worse. I was feeling the same way the other day and honestly, I came really close to spanking as well. I know when I get upset if makes me feel worse to do or say something that I can not take back. Be calm and patient and tomorrow's another day. :)
    Anonymous

• at 2 i would say put her in her crib and let her scream. 10min and i bet she is out
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 7:18 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• i would spank her. I will never let my son refuse a nap for a week! wow! i wouldn't be able to handle it.
    If she's refusing to listen after many talks with her, then spank her. She needs to learn that the behavior is not allowed.
    Anonymous

• I've tried that before... she won't go to sleep in her crib for naps. I don't know why... she goes down just fine for bedtime, but for naps she has never been okay with the crib.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:19 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Buckle down. If she can't eat what you're offering she doesn't get ANYTHING. No Junk food! When she gets hungry she can then eat what you're offering. She is old enough to be told NO when she is having a tantrum, or to get her favorite thing taken away til she can behave. A time-out may even get her to stop. As for napping... Lay her in bed. turn out all the lights and let her fall asleep to a movie by herself.. No distractions but the movie. If she has Mommy there to play with, talk to etc... She wont relax enough to sleep
    Anonymous

• I think it's cruel to spank a child just because they don't want to nap. Then again, I don't condone spanking.

Let her sit in her room for an hour and have "rest time". She can read books, or play quietly with her toys.

If she doesn't nap, then put her to bed early.

Two-year olds are challenging. But the biggest challenge is learning to keep your cool.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:22 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Anon :20, thanks for the suggestions. I do tell her no to junk, she is just starving herself and refusing to eat what i offer for the most part. She takes a few bites and then tells me she's hungry again 10 mintues later, and keeps insisting she's hungry but won't eat what i'm offering. I dunno what to do about it, she's getting enough to keep her alive and everything lol, but not enough to ever be full. Time outs work temorarily... usually that's all it takes but she's had 3 or 4 today and she's just not getting it. Maybe it's my frustration level that's making her so unruly.

As for the napping with a movie, I've tried that too :( she just gets up and sits RIGHT in front of the TV or gets up to play unless I lay with her. She USUALLY goes to sleep if I lay with her for a few minutes, but it's not working lately.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:25 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Oh, I forgot to address the junk food issue. She eats junk food because you give it to her. Offer her healthy foods that are also tasty and fun to eat: cherry tomatoes, string cheese, whole wheat bagels with a smear of peanut butter, low-fat yogurt, peas, green beans, etc. She might also like spaghetti. She is too young to take the "eat what I give you or go hungry" approach. It's normal for children her age to be picky eaters. Pick your battles wisely.

Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:25 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Fallaya, I definately wouldn't spank for not taking a nap. Actually, I don't spank period, but that's how i was raised and it gets tempting sometimes when I don't know what else to do. It's like that's what I fall back to. I have managed not to go there so far lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:27 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Yeah I agree with pp or give her a baby that she lies and tell her her baby is going nite nite or nap time leave her in the room and check up on her every so often until you get a routine going GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 7:27 PM on Jun. 14, 2010