temp. question.

My 20 month old son has felt warm all day --- I can tell he doesnt feel great but he doesnt act sick either... I gave him a little medicine earlier and now he is sleeping... I am usually a big worrier especially when the kids get sick... but this time I am not really worried because I know he is OK...

My husband however said he was too hot and had to call his mom and she said we need to keep taking his temp. every 30 minutes and call her back and that we will probably need to take him to the ER ( but this is also the same woman who told me my daughter might have skin cancer from a cat scratch) ... so I am not jumping onto that wagon....

Anyways my question is, my husband took his temp under his arm ( as he was sleeping and he usually gets really hot and sweaty as he sleeps not to mention it is hot here period) and the temp was 101.4 ..under the arm do you take one away or add one ( so is it really 102.4 or 100.4 )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Add one degree so that it's 102.4
    I think your right and your MIL is over reacting. Give him popsicles and luke warm baths. Trust your mommy instinct. That's what they're for. GL
    Anonymous

• You add a degree. But, at 102.4, you only just now need to give medicine. Maybe a tepid(warm) bath. He does not need an ER visit unless it reaches 105 after medicine or he becomes lethargic.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:46 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• You had 1 when it's under the arm. So if the thermometer reads 101.4 under the arm then it's really 102.4. According to my HealthWise Handbook: See a professional: If a a child age 3 months to 3 years has a fever of 103 or higher for 24 hours.

SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:51 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/body/fever.html#   A whole article on fever and kids with awesome advice.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:52 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• add 1 degree when you take it under tha arm
    BUT 2 things - 1- consider the fact that you gave meds and 2 - you should not tkae temp while baby is sleeping or for about 15 min after to give them a chance to cool off
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:57 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• even if it was 102.4 after he had a chance to wake up and cool off it's not a huge worry unless it lasts a few days, won't go down with meds or he's acting lethargic. just make sure he's getting enough fluids and light layers to keep him cool. popsicles are great, too :)
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:18 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• It's advisable to add a degree, however that doesn't necessarily mean it's inaccurate either. Some thermometers are pretty accurate no matter where on the body you take it.

The best thing to do is to wait 4-5 hours after you gave him his first dose of medicine before giving him more. If it goes up within the first two hours of giving him medicine, to over 103.5 (or 102.5 under the arm), then you can try to administer a luke warm bath to try to drop the temp. If the temp won't drop within an hour, you can take him in to the ER if you feel it is necessary.

However I agree the MIL sounds like a nut. Don't feel bad every family has them. My nephews grandmother is a complete fruit cake when it comes to him being sick, and unfortunately his mother listens to her mom. Which mean's he's been in the hospital 4 or 5 times for temps that were only about 100.4-101. In themiddle of the night noless

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• remember the ER won't really do any different than what you are doing at home, so unless you feel the absolute need to, or he is developing other symptoms of concern or you have seriously high spike, I would avoid it. Sleep is the best medicine when sick.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:30 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• My son is always sick off and on with something and he would do the same thing.. my doctor told me to put him to sleep in his diaper with fever medicine and a luke warm bath.. and if his fever kept up with being 102 for the next 3 days then to just bring him into the office not the er.. when a child reaches 104 thats when you wanna bring them to the er..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:00 AM on Jun. 15, 2010