am i doing the right thing?

i have been breastfeeding my baby from birth he is now 4months old and when he turned 2months i introduced formula 1x bottle before bed. lately my baby is getting really fustrated when he is feeding he keeps pulling and tugging away from the breast and then gets upset and i put him back on and he does the same thing and this happens for about 5 or so minutes and in the end one of us normally gives up so today i decided to give it up and just exclusively bottle feed but am feeling guilty am i doing the right thing?

tumtum360

Asked by tumtum360 at 9:17 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, you are not. He may be getting mad because the bottle flows w/o him having to work. So then he gets lazy at the breast and mad that it isn't coming out faster. I don't understand why on earth you introduced a bottle of formula? There is no need for that. All you are doing is setting yourself up to fail at breastfeeding. There is no reason you need to give it up.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:21 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Go with your gut, but my DD got really frustrated starting at that 4 month mark. They get distracted, they want to play and see what's going on. If you stick with it it could get better. If you WANT to bottle feed then go ahead, if you don't want to then stick with it for a week or so and see how it goes. I found that if I would rock my dd and get her drowsy first it makes nursing a lot easier when she's distracted.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:21 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• If you want to bottle feed, go ahead. I just want you to know that I work with breastfeeding moms and I am constantly amazed at how many stopped breastfeeding and wish they hadn't. So many moms contact me because they want to resume breastfeeding weeks or even months after stopping. If you want to keep breastfeeding, just hang in there! See if you can eliminate bottles for a week or so. Spend extra time cuddling and nursing. Go to a La Leche League meeting to get some support from other nursing moms (you may be surprised at how many have been through something similar!)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Are you doing the right thing? That all depends on how you feel about. You said you feel guilty so maybe you are not. I know that my daughter would do that it seemed when she was teething. It passed after a week or two. Only you can decide if this is the right thing for you to do or not.
    Anonymous

• I agree with all of the first poster and some of the second. I don't think giving a bottle before bed is a good idea, especially because I'm sure you're doing it to make him sleep longer, which isn't fair. And like Sonia said, it's setting yourself up for breastfeeding failure. But like rhianna said, that is just around the time when babies get easily distracted, you just kinda have to stick it out if you want to give baby what is best.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:41 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• If you felt you were doing the right thing you wouldn't be asking.

If I were you I would pretend there were no such things as bottles and formula. While some people can supplement without problems the vast majority can't becaue every bottle of formula means less time at the breast and that means more problems (especially during growth spurts and those milestones of awareness). It's the main reason why formula is banned in our house. I won't allow it. The worst advice tends to stem from bottlefeeding advice. If you want to breastfeed you should get rid of the bottle mindset and know that the things you are going through with a breastfed baby are perfectly normal!

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:02 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Some babies get distracted, especially as they get older and are better able to interact with their environment. There is a lot of fun stuff to do and no time to eat!

I think you may be asking what you can do to salvage the BFing. Don't give up. Try nursing under low lights, no noise, maybe even a light cover to help your LO focus on eating.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:41 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• It's really your decision but if you are sad about giving up that special bonding time with your baby then maybe you should try cutting back on the formula and instead pumping to give him a bottle that way if you really want to. Even if you do have another baby & breastfeed again you'll never have this same time with your baby. But again, it is up to how you feel about it, not what anyone else tells you.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 12:14 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• The baby is fussy for a reason. If you are changing from bottle to breast and back flow can be an issue. Another problem can be that you are letting down so fast and hard that the pressure is making your baby back off. Try hand expressing your milk for a few seconds and then put the baby on.
    Apark

Answer by Apark at 2:01 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• he may be going through a growth spurt too
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:36 AM on Jun. 15, 2010