If you have an EBT Card...has this ever happened to you?

I am so aggravated. We just spent a little over an hour grocery shopping.Get up to the check out, the cashier asks, "how are you paying today?", I said we are using an EBT card. She says "sorry but the machines are down and won't be up and running for about another 2 hours".
So all that time, all that shopping was a waste of time!
I don't understand why they couldn't put an announcement overhead like every 15 minutes or something so people in the store that would be paying that way would just stop shopping and leave. They did have a sign on one of the doors ( I checked to see on our way out). It was a little piece of 8x10 white computer paper written with a black marker of to the far left that noone would notice if you even turned your head for a split second.
To top it off, it was too late to go shopping anywhere else, had to get the baby home for bed. Has that ever happend to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• On the back of our cards is an 800 number for the stores to call in cases like that here. I had it happen once. Look on the back of your card or call your local office and explain to them what happened. Ask them if there is anything the store could have done. Most times, stores don't want to be bothered to go out of their way to do things. Ex. Machine is broke, so they tell you they can't take the card. When in actuality they could probably have called it in. If that's the case, I'd call the store or branch manager and let them know what happened and what your local office told you.
    Anonymous

• no.
    Anonymous

• No, never had that happen, but it sounds like good advice that anonymous 9:39 gave.
    Anonymous

• As long as they post something they don't have to do anything else.
    Anonymous

• What is an EBT card?
    Anonymous

• No I never had that happen to me but I understand how fustrated that my be especially when they could have just keyed it in!!! I'm aggravated for you....smh
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 9:54 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• EBT is a food stamp card...
    Anonymous

• Yes...I wish they would make an announcement too.
    Anonymous

• Actually they have a piece of paper they can fill out for when this happens. Then if by chance you dont have enough to cover it you will be responsible.
    Anonymous

• Yes, and they are required to ring it up and then they have a special paper form they write the amounts on to take it off later. they cannot refuse to ring you up.
    Anonymous