How to talk to my S/O about being depressed

I have been diagnosed with depression when I was a teen. I was even taking meds for it. I got preggo with my oldest child and stopped taking the meds. I never got back on them. After he was born, I had a very bad case of PPD. I didn't want my own child and even had thoughts of harming him. Thankfully my mom was there to help me through. I did not seek help for the PPD. Things only got a little better after that. I met my current hubby when my son was about 5 months old. Things were tolerable for a while. But then the same old feelings came back. It's now 6 years later, and I am still feeling this way. I never told my hubby about the depression ( he doesn't believe in it). I now know that I need to seek help so I can be a better mom and wife. How do I talk to him and let him know what's going on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• Take him with you to the doctor and maybe the doctor can whack some sense into him about depression being VERY real. I'm sure a bedpan would be very effective in it.

But seriously, get the help whether he believes in it or not. Go to the doctor first and tell the doctor your problem and your husband's problem with "not believing in it". I'm sure your doctor can give you more advice about talking about it with him.
    Anonymous

• Oh, and good luck. I have clinical depression and it's no fun. I hope your husband can gain some sense and give you all the support you need. If not, obviously you still have your mom who understands!
    Anonymous

• You could always go privately, & when hubby notices the NEW IMPROVED you, you could then tell him," honey you just became a believer in depression", & when he says hows that? Thats your que to say" well you had noticed a change (hopefully) for the good in me which suggest you noticed somthing not so good, I had too, & I was all to familiar with it & knew I needed to do something about it, but knowing how you feel about it, I figured you had to see to believe, & trust me if it was as easy as me saying to myself I'm going to wake up tommorrow & everyday after & be happy I would much rather take that route, but unfortunately its not like that for some, & I happen to be one of them. So in order to be the best me I can be, this IS the way it is. I HAVE to do this for me first so I can be the mom & wife my HEART wants to be. Oh & if you pray, pray first that his heart & mind be open, before you have this talk. Blessings to you.
    meme4x

Answer by meme4x at 10:07 PM on Jun. 14, 2010