I need no cost idea's to promote my business.

Hi, my name is JoAnn and I am a licence Estheticain, I open my business about 8ths ago. At first business was good, I work in a salon and had walk ins that I could book appointments with, but last month my business started dropping. A salon has a limited number of customers. the ones who would get a facial did and I only gained about 8 regular clients. There was no growth for me , so I rented a small place and went out on my own. The first month I dropped my prices 50% for my grand opening special. I passed flyer at a local event (I am in a very small country town) and have made a photo album of my services. I have gone to every buisiness and took my album dropped off flyers, did businesse card exchanges. I have no money to buy ads. I will make $25.00 this week, I need help with some ideas, thanks so much. JoAnn

jojo1212365

Asked by jojo1212365 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• Try making a website, you can do it for free at www.webs.com
    Anonymous

• Facebook is good place to make connections.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 10:03 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• well, your first mistake was location. Location is key with any salon business, and if you are only specializing in esthetician work, your chances of success in a small town, with little or no already available clientele are a death sentence to your business.

My recommendation to you, is to either expand your business to include other salon services such as nails and tanning along with your esthetician services. (question: what services do you include? Just facials? or waxing and body massage?)

You need to market to a larger group of people, and in a small town that is VERY difficult in a limit field. Especially if the small town doesn't carry the class of people you need to make your business worth wild.

Your second option would be to relocate to an area that would have a need for such services.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:06 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• of course advertising is great, but I'm sure you've heard, "your best advertising is a happy client".

You could try a buy one get one free deal offer.. have clients bring in friends for free or half price. Or offer group deals, but really that's the only advertisement ideas I can give you that are low cost, and will show any possible increase in business (and again, that depends on your location, and how good you are, you are your best advertisement).

You can try to go to local events and participate by opening booths to try to gain a larger clientele... but again, if the need isn't great in your location, then your business just isn't going to make it, and you are going to have to think of either expanding your options by including other services, or finding a new and better location.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:10 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• note that there are benefits to expanding. You could split the bills with a nail technician or a hair stylist, and offer each other 10% tips for each recommendation to the other services and 10% on retail sold of yours or theirs to help promote each other and your business. It also opens your doors to more clientele. By doing this you can hopefully gain a larger customer client base, and thus increase your business and sales. You can also expand what you do. Example, if you are limiting yourself to waxings and facials and body massage, think of expanding to offering tanning services.

Okay, we know tanning is not great for our skin, BUT.. at the same time, you offer remedies to help with skin care, thus doubling your profit margins. Those that tan will want to seek extra services from you to keep their skin healthy looking.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:16 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Post something on craigslist - that's free.
    Anonymous

• Make a website.
    Print out an advertisment and ask to post it in store fronts.
    Ask the solon to advertise your business on their front window.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:25 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Get out and network. Start with the National Association of Women Business Owners and your local Chamber of Commerce.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2010