Should US mandate that all oil rigs near US or owned by US have automatic shut-off values called acoustic triggers?

Something that is relatively inexpensive and could protect our environment?

Read more:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704423504575212031417936798.html

Why doesn't our government require this? Do you think NOW they will, hopefully? Should we petition that they do?

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 9:59 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, considering that that makes sense, is logical, and is inexpensive (relatively), it probably won't be. And then there is this assessment -- The efficacy of the devices is unclear. Major offshore oil-well blowouts are rare, and it remained unclear Wednesday evening whether acoustic switches have ever been put to the test in a real-world accident. I can almost hear them discussing this, saying that they don't know if they would work or not, so it isn't worth spending all that $$ on them if they don't. It does seem like a good idea. As far as I am concerned, I would rather they have too many back-up plans, than not enough.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:26 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 10:09 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• DEFINITELY!!!
    Anonymous

• Hindsight is 20/20 and because this type of incident has never happened before they didn't see the cost benefit at the time.
    For the record, I live in the Houston Area where BP has headquarters. I can tell you that this well HAD the BOP. Whether or not it was operated by this acoustic method, I will assume not from your story but I don't know. There are always a series of BOPs on rigs and if any were found to not have any it would be highly surprising. The BOPs on this well malfunctioned and this is where the investigation needs to start whenever they can really get to the inner workings of this well.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:17 AM on Jun. 15, 2010