Help, my son has very dry skin around his eyes and mouth!

He has always had issues with eczema, but mostly just on his arms and legs. Finding it on his face is pretty new. We did just take a trip out of the country, which caused stress, lack of sleep, and a change in his diet all at once. But, we've been back for two weeks, and it hasn't gotten any better. I'm not sure if I should treat it the same as the eczema on his legs and arms, or if I should use something more sensitive since it's on his face. I don't want this to prematurely age is face.

If you've dealt with this before, what would you recommend I use?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 10:06 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Kids' Health

• DS had dry skin around his mouth, I used Lansinoh lanolin on it... just a very thin layer applied after a bath in the morning.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:08 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• yanno you really need to ask his doc because that stuff is so so harsh sometimes. so on his face, especially near his eyes, I would be paranoid yanno.... ick, hope it clears up soon mama.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:08 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• When we first returned home he had green gunk coming out of his eyes, that caused them to glue shut while he was sleeping. Before bed I put some vaseline around his eyes to help, and the dry skin cleared up some. Should I go back to rubbing the vaseline around his eyes and mouth or is there something that works better? He didn't really care for the vaseline, which is why I stopped when the green gunk went away. But if it will get rid of the red and dry skin, he will just have to suffer thru for a while.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:09 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Vaseline is petroleum and has the same benefits as mineral oil, none. There's a minconceprion that these ingredients sooth dry skin when they infact dehydrate the skin.
    Do me a favor darlin'... Grab 2 saltine crackers, and squirt baby oil in one and put 1 cracker in the mineral oil glass, then in the other glass, put cracker in water. Can be tap water will still get the point across. :)
    wait about 5 mins and take our cracker in water. It's soggy, right?! Because it has absorbed the water! Nowtaele the baby oil cracker out... What has it absorbed?? Nothing! Did you know it only takes the skin approximately 26 seconds to absorb whatevers on it?!! True! Your sons sensative dry skin needs to be hydrated and soothed with products that do not contain mineral oil or petroleum. My son has bad bad eczema/ sensative skin. ABC is the only thing that doesn't break his skin out. I can send you some to try on ur babe. God Bless!
    BrittsArbonne

Answer by BrittsArbonne at 1:26 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Above poster is correct. Petroleum products do nothing for the skin except to mask the problem. Jordan Essentials do NOT contain any mineral oil. Shea Butter is very healing for ezcema. I use the shea butter everyday on my face. My skin has never looked better.

motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:54 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Thanks ladies!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:56 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• My son had eczema too! I would switch to an all natural company for products like shampoo, soap, laundry, lotions etc. I did and love it! My son's is gone! No more rashes!
    Here is a link for more info on natural products! They work great especially the lotion! Request more info and explain that your son has eczema. It is an online company that ships to your home!

http://www.NaturallySafeHomes.com
    MoriahL

Answer by MoriahL at 11:45 AM on Jun. 19, 2010