Starting baby swimming?

When is it okay to start your baby swimming? I took my 5 months old son in a little pool the other day, it was a neighbors, and he LOVED it. I didn't put him under water, just up to his chest. He loved splashing around and had a blast. I want to take him to the big pool on base tomorrow, but I'm a little scared. He sucked in some water in the little pool and was struggling for air after and kept coughing and wheezing. It scared me so bad, but he was okay. I'm a little nervous about the big pool. Is it too early? I've seen crazy videos of babies only a few months old being thrown into the water and swimming right back to the edge. (I'm not planning on doing this.) I thought, if those little babies can do that, I'm sure my son will be okay in the pool with me right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Most mommy and tot swim lessons begin at 6 months. Infants under three months have a "dive reflex" that causes them to hold their breath under water. Swimming in infancy is a a cultural thing really,some places it is very common for infants to learn to swim.

Use your mommy guts. You know what is best for your baby.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:36 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I think it would be a great thing to do!
    Anonymous

• I think its totally fine. My friend brought her 4 month old in my pool last summer and he just floated around in his little raft with her. Are you planning on going to a big public pool? If so, you should be careful about him getting that water in his mouth. Kids poop and pee in public pools constantly...I'd be concerned about bacteria and chemicals and stuff. But other than that, let him have a good time! Its actually a good thing for babies to become familiar and comfortable in the water at a young age. They will be less likely to be frightened of it when they are older.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:58 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Yes, it's fine as long as you are comfy with it & he's enjoying it; try teaching him to blow bubbles while you're holding him on his stomach. My 10 month old & I are in a swim class and that's one fo the lessons they start with (the class is meant for 6 months & up); also the basic back & front floats just to get them used to the water and also getting their head wet, just dribbling a little water over the top of their head but they mention it's important to do the same thing, show him first; especially with the water over the head & the bubble blowing. You can also put your arms under him and kind of glide him through the water. I've seen those videos too & they scare me, I'd never be able to do that to my baby!
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 12:07 AM on Jun. 15, 2010