just broke up with my long term boyfriend. We have two little boys together.

Due to our finances our housing situation is unable to change at the moment. Does anyone have any advice for when to tell the kids (ages 5 &3) or just any advice at all? I'm feeling pretty alone I guess...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• So your still living together? That sounds tough. If it were me, I would try my hardest to get along until the housing situation changes, and then tell the kids at that point. It seems like it would be complicated to explain to kids that young that mommy and daddy aren't together anymore but are still living together. I think they would have a hard time understanding that. I hope it all works out.
    sstokes86

Answer by sstokes86 at 11:55 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I just told my kids that we were going on a new adventure and moving and daddy was staying. They didn't question it or have a problem. I made the new adventure sound like fun so they focused on that.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:48 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I just told DD that we're not together anymore. At that age, they don't get it entirely. She was 4, I told her that he has to work all the time & that he wants to do different things that i want to do & that living in seperate homes just makes it easier to do that. She never ever asked about it again. Kids are smart & you're lucky that it happened sooner than later. It's a lot harder when they get older. 5 & 3 is still young enough that they might fit into their new way of life easily.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:15 AM on Jun. 15, 2010