Does anyone know any tricks on seeing the sex of the baby during the first ultrasound?

I will be 20 weeks this Thursday and am having my first ultrasound tomorrow and am wondering if I need to refrain from eating or do something to get this little one moving so I can know if it's a boy or a girl!

bubbysmamma

Asked by bubbysmamma at 11:50 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was always told orange juice, thats what I always drink for an ultrasound and she's always jumpin around.
    MummaMel

Answer by MummaMel at 11:53 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Actually you should eat a big meal like 30 mins to an hour before hand, and drink a glass of orange juice. That way your baby will be active and moving around, which will make it easier for the ultrasound tech to get a shot of the goods...or lack there of. Its when the baby is sleeping or has a limb in the way that makes it a problem to see.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:55 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Most of the time it just depends on how baby is laying. It may help to eat before hand so that he or she has a little energy and will move around for the technician. My first did not want to show us at all, she finally turned just at the end of the ultrasound long enough for us to see that there was nothing between her legs! lol My second was wide open, he was not afraid to show off what he has! Eating a little something beforehand definetly helps though because you do not want baby to be difficult, it is easier when they are awake.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 11:56 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Drink cold apple juice 15 min before you go in. Th ultrasound techs had me do this cause he wasnt moving and they couldnt get clear pics of his spine and kidney i believe it was. It worked!!! The sugar wakes em right up :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:04 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• When I went to my ultra sound my baby wouldn't move to a better position so I was told to eat lunch with lots of different veggies like a salad with spinach, carrots, mushrooms, peppers, etc. and to drink REALLY cold apple juice then come back.

When I came back he was going nuts and the tech saw his boy parts right away. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Jun. 15, 2010