HELP!!!!! FORMULA FEEDING QUESTION!!!!

okay i have two kids, with my daughter i breastfed until she was a yr old, then she drunk lactaid cause regular milk didnt sit right. now my son is a month old and he's been having bowel problems since he was 2 wks old, at first he was going on his own, then i was doing the bicycle moves to make him go and now it doesnt work. one day i took him to the hospital becuase he didnt sleep for over 8 hrs, he threw up at whole bottle and he was beyond fussy, they gave him a supository and gave me a perscription for it, since then he went to the bathroom once by himself after that day and eversince i would have to use the supositories. now im wondering if it's the milk or is that kids in general. i never formula fed so this is new to me, my mom did say me and my siblings have to get our milk changed cause it didnt sit right with us. now is a supository daily healthy or not? should i consider changing his milk?

angelsmommy0721

Asked by angelsmommy0721 at 11:58 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Talk to his doc about this!!! He may need to change formulas to a soy based or one of the hypoallergenic ones. either way you NEED to talk to his doc about it all!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:02 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Changing his milk can't hurt. You could try one of the sensitive formulas to see if that helps at all. As far as the suppositories go, I would give them to mine when they didn't go for two days. My pedi said that sometimes with newborns, they sometimes absorb so much of the nutrients in their milk that they don't have much left for waste so its not completely abnormal for them to go a few days before having a dirty diaper. Now if he's acting uncomfortable then a suppository will do the trick!
    mommyerin02

Answer by mommyerin02 at 12:05 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• You may need to use a soy formula, But I would definantely be calling the doctor.
    jamesmommy512

Answer by jamesmommy512 at 12:09 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I don't think it's safe to use a suppository everyday. I recently picked some up at the pharmacy and asked that same question. "How long can i keep using before it is harmful?" The pharmacist said to only use it a few times in a row. I always say, just do soy. It almost always works and it beats trying a thousand other kinds while your baby adjusts and you take forever figuring it out.
    sstokes86

Answer by sstokes86 at 12:22 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Put him back to breast! It isn't too late.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• suppositories are not for daily use. even if he's on formula he doesn't have to go every day. I would definitely talk to his pediatrician about recommending a better formula.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:29 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• If you and your siblings and your DD have all had issues with milk tolerance (did your DD ever have issues with your BM, or do you not consume dairy?) then it's probably an issue with your son too. You need to talk to his Pedi about this and see what formula would help his tummy issues.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:33 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I Formula Fed from day one. I used Similac Advance formula and never had a problem. Go to Similac.com and research which formula is right for you. They have many types for differnt baby problems. ALSO ONLY USE LIQUID FORMULA!!!!!! DO NOT buy POWDER formula that you mix with your water. There may be something in your water causing an issue with his tummy. A lot of women I know used powder mix and had a lot of problems so switched to ready made liquid!!! Call your Dr. re: the suppositories, I never used them. Good luck.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:37 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I think your best bet is to breastfeed again. that's what his body us made to digest and given the history with your older baby, it would work like a charm.goodluck.
    alotta_fagina

Answer by alotta_fagina at 10:52 AM on Jun. 15, 2010