Have you ever been at fault for causing the demise of a family pet? directly or indirectly?

My neighbor just told me she killed the family guinea pig :(
She left him outside and he died of heat exhaustion. she checked on him and he seemed to be having a great time out there, so she was really surprised and saddend by it.
I was wondering how often that actually happens.

MillyPontipee

Asked by MillyPontipee at 12:34 AM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Pets

• This is embarrassing to admit, but my cousin and I shut our grandma's cat in an ice chest (we were pretending to deer hunt and he was the deer). We forgot all about him until bedtime! :( When I was about 4 or 5, I threw my kitten because I had heard that cats always land on their feet. He did not land on his feet, but on his back and broke it, so he had to be put down. :( Terrible!

CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:47 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I stepped on one of my parakeets just a few day's ago and it died. I cried forever.
    jamesmommy512

Answer by jamesmommy512 at 12:40 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Almost two years ago I was really sick and my dog was outside and I didn't know it. I heard whining but was so sick I didn't get up to see where it was coming from. It was really cold outside. When I came to DC was missing. I don't know for sure but I think he froze to death. He was 9 yrs old. I had him since a few days before I started high school. I miss him so much.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 12:46 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Awww- so sad! I have guinea pigs- they are really sensitive to heat exhaustion! When my BIL was a child, he did something similar to the family rabbits- left them outside in a pen and forgot about them and they died of sunstroke. My mom's friend ran over her own dog- he was outside without her knowing it and chased a rabbit behind her car when she was backing out of the garage- she didn't see him at all. And one of my high schools friends had a dog that died by accident from getting shut up in a hot car- her dad got in the car and didn't see that the little dog (yorkie) had jumped in the back seat. The car wouldn't start, so he got out, shut the door, and took the second car. No one knew the dog was in there until it was too late- they were looking for him all over the neighbourhood... the dad was totally sick about it. I guess it does happen sometimes- so sad!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:54 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Oh such sad stories, but the ladies didnt hurt the pets on purpose. I had a bird that I gave to the pet shop, gave them the cage and all. Once Birt,,that was his name, saw the other birds he was going to be with he was so happy. I had rats too that I took to the pet shop. I could never walk away from a living animal or release them into the wild. Could never think about doing that
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Jun. 15, 2010