Period or miscarriage? TMI

I have had an IUD for two years, and I NEVER get my period. Literally the last time I had one was over a year ago (which, for those who don't know, is actually normal for someone with an IUD). I haven't had any symptoms of pregnancy, but I also haven't tested, so the possiblity is always there.

Anyhow, I woke up this morning in a POOL of blood. Like, it soaked through my sheets. And I've been bleeding a lot, all day, a lot of it in clumps up to about half dollar sized..

I really don't want to go to the doctor for a period, right, so I'm just wondering if this sounds like a super heavy period or an early miscarriage? :-/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Health

• Google it. I would think if you haven't had a period in a year then its possible that you are just having a really heavy flow. You can always test to be sure. I always pass a fair amount of tissue during my flow but that is normal for me.

My doc always says to me if you soak 2 or more pads an hour, you need to go to the ER.
    mommyerin02

Answer by mommyerin02 at 1:05 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I had an IUD for 8 years. Let me tell you... when I had my period at first it was BAD, I mean, BAD!!!! I would have to change my tampon ever 20 minutes or less. Seriously, no exaggeration. I think its just your period but I could be wrong. It wouldn't hurt tomorrow to call your ob's office and leave a message for the nurse to call you back. Are you cramping?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• OP Here: Yes, quite a bit of cramping. The first year I had the IUD, I had my period regularly every 6 weeks, then right around my DD's first birthday I got the last one I can remember having (and she just turned two).

Yea, if I'm still bleeding like this tomorrow I will definitely be calling the office, at the very least to get some sort of idea what I should or shouldn't do.

If I am having a miscarriage and I take a HPT will I still have the hormones in my system to test positive?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Yes, it should show positive. Then you will know. Good luck!!!
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 1:12 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• You should since it can take a couple of days for your hormones to level out.
    mommyerin02

Answer by mommyerin02 at 1:14 AM on Jun. 15, 2010