i want to pump my breast milk, when should i start? what pumps are good?

i am going to use a bottle but just with my breast milk and i dont know when i should start pumping or how to go about it? i would just feel more comfortable pumpin it into a bottle then actual breast feeding! can anyone help...

lilae86

Asked by lilae86 at 1:16 AM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had the Medela pump in style breast pump and it was amazing. They are expensive so if you can't buy one then you can check with your local hospital to see if they have one you can rent.

As far as when, I was told to start pumping as soon as I delivered and got back to my room. It helps the uterus contract and it helps your milk to come in.

Pump each side for 15 minutes every 3-4 hours. You can go longer if you don't feel empty after 15 minutes.
    mommyerin02

Answer by mommyerin02 at 1:26 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• If you plan to exclusively pump then you need to get a hospital grade pump which you will need to rent because milk supply is a HUGE issue when exclusively pumping. The pump does not remove all of the hind milk like the baby does so many women find that exclusively pumping for an entire year is VERY difficult. MANY MANY women end up with nothing coming out after a while.

You should begin pumping IMMEDIATELY after birth because your baby will need to eat immediately. You will probably need to bring milk storage bottles because the hospital may not have them and you may have trouble getting any colestrum into the bottles because colestrum is made in small quantities in the first few days.

I would HIGHLY RECOMMED AGAINST attempting to exclusively pump. Look up other mom's stories. You will find that many of them didn't make it very far.

Also there are oral and facial development issues to think about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Jun. 15, 2010