OMG I frickin got lice!!!!

I have no idea where I got them from!!! Im 26 and This is my first time ever getting them. I was wondering if anyone one has any remedies to help get rid of them I have done vinegar thing...coconut oil and a shower cap ( Im sleeping in it) Tomorrow morning my BFF is coming over to comb my hair out and do a treatment...any help is welcome

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Health

• wash everything! in really hot water. and dry it hot too. when i was a kid my mom used kerosene on us. it worked, but we smelled awful for 2 weeks.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:23 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Other than the chemical treatments I don't know. I got them from my daughter who got them in pre-k. Those comb things suck. I had to pick the eggs out one strand at a time. That is hard to do on a 4 year old. I did several treatments on myself bc I didn't have anyone who could go through my hair. I learned to check my kids hair once a week. I don't want to ever go through that again! My head itches just thinking about it lol
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 1:27 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• go to the drug store and buy some lice shampoo for your hair, then wash all your bedding. lice have evolved to become immune to vinegar, fleas as well
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:32 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I got lice when I was little from my neighbor. My mom used Rid ex. It smells awful. Yes I remember the smell 20 years later. My mom also washed everything daily and scrubbed everything down every morning. I don't remember having to do the treatment more than once though. After that she chopped off my hair.

You can also use hair spray to keep from getting lice. I guess they can't cling to sprayed hair.
    mommyerin02

Answer by mommyerin02 at 1:32 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• WASH ALL BED STUFF WITH BLEACH !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Wash everything with hot water and dry with the dryer on the highest setting. All the bedding, pillows, blankets, stuffed animals. There is also some spray you can get at the pharmacy you can put on the furniture and carpets then vacuum the dead lice and eggs up. The chemicals come with detailed instructions. You may want to do a careful check of your kids hair for lice and eggs. Remember to check the hair line on the bottom and behind the ears.
    Personally, I'd rather shave my head to get rid of them than do that comb thing on my thick hair again. But, I'm tender headed and would take baldness over that any day.
    Good luck.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:43 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Loreal Feria Home Permanent Hair Dye: I found out by chance that the conditioner from the home hair dye kits actually smother the lice and immobilize them. My daughter has curly hair and the though of pulling a fine tooth comb through her hair made me cringe. I figured I would apply the conditioner to make her hair more smooth and less painful for her. Imagine my surprise when I rinsed her hair after having her sit with the conditioner on for 20 minutes that dozens and dozens of lice fell out of her locks and into the kitchen sink. I rinsed her at the kitchen sink so I could use the sprayer hose. The conditioner works very well for suffocating the lice. Also the lice cannot "grip" the hair strand so they cannot "run" away. But you still have to work on removing the nits every day as much as you can. Diligence is the weapon here. Wash clothes and bedding in very hot water. Bag the bedding for 2 wks & wash again.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 2:18 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Try mayonnaise. It smothers the lice. It really is not a big deal to get LICE. Treat it and move on. Make sure you wash EVERYTHING in really hot water and dry in hot water. Take comforters and stuffed animals, put in a garbage bag and seal tight. Place in a garage or shed for a week or two to let any lice eggs or nits die.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:06 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Somehow, we managed to avoid lice (probably the only family on the block. Here are some remedies that I have held on to in case I need them. For prevention, mix 50% olive oil, 25% tea tree oil and 25% rosemary essential oil (you can get this at a health food store or Whole Foods); massage on scalp and leave on for 15-20 minutes. To cure, you can use mayonaise or coconut oil; put on the hair, wait about 30 minutes, and comb out with a flea comb from a pet shop; follow with the prevention spray. You will need to wash bedding, clothes, pillows, etc.
    Trader Joes has a great shampoo and conditioner with tea tree oil and peppermint; these wouldn't hurt, and are great for adolescent, greasy, flakey, scalps.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:02 PM on Jun. 15, 2010