what can i do about my mother in law

no offense but she is driving me crazy. We live in the south and you know it gets hot. She will turn off the air conditioner in mid day and it is 98 degrees out side. She complains to me about my child not being potty trained. She tells me every day i need to be on birth control. tells me all the time not to give my baby milk. You name it she does it. My husband and me are living with her until we get out of college. I am ready to pack my stuff up and get me and my baby out of here. PLEASE HELP

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• Yikes! what a awful way to be in! I feel for ya girl. The only advice I can give is just say, thank your for your input.. I really do appreciate it, but I find that insert you daughters name handles the milk better then anything else, or I prefer to do it this way. Get what I'm talking about?

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 1:51 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Man what a terrible environment. Try talking to her.Or better yet, let your husband talk to her. Tell him to tell her to back off a bit. They can totally be like that. Thank her for trying but tell her you can handle things on your own and u wanna make ur own decisions about things.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 1:56 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I'm afraid it's her home & her rules until you're on your own. Especially if she's paying the bills. Air conditioning can be expensive. I'm afraid I don't like heat either, so I know how you feel, but there've been times when we were pretty tight, & I had to deal with the heat. As for potty training, that should be up to you, but I can't blame her if she feels you should be on birth control while living with her. She may love all of you, but not want to have to worry about another child living full time in her home.

I'm sure she loves all of you & wants to help, but may be ready for her privacy, & to have more financial freedom. It's very expensive to support a household. I adore my sons 18, 20 & 27, the younger two still live at home. We're happy to help them get through college, but we do feel it's our home, we pay the bills, & because of that we get to make the rules, we've earned the right to live the way we want to
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:58 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Offer to pay for the electricity bill then you can run it all day. And about her "input" sorry... she's a MIL. They feel they have to teach us to be good mothers even when their advice is not asked for. But it's not just her, alot of MILs are like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• i agree her home, her rules get a fan or two for your room.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:17 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Don't they have dorms for families? Remember you get what you pay for in life. You are living in her home so she's offering you the benefit of her wisdom, her opinions and her quirks. It all comes with living with someone. Decide which is important, sanity or a free ride
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• You can't do one thing about her. She came with your husband. You married her, just like you did him. Until you can afford to live somewhere else, you are stuck. You can learn to be polite and respectful to the woman who gave birth to the man you chose to marry, but you will never change her!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I was in your shoes when my DD was born. I also lived with mother in law for a few months until we found a house to rent. It was AWEFUL! I don't think i ever left my room. I hybernated for months it felt like, i did not even want to see her face. We slept in the basement bedroom, so i could hear her footsteps when she went upstairs to her room. That is when i would come out of my room & eat or whatever. You just have to put on your poker face, expecially when she is telling you how to mother your child. Just say "thanks for your input" and let it be. You cannot be rude because she is letting you live there. You can offer to pay electricity, or maybe go buy a small AC for your bedroom window.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:11 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Her house, her rules. Don't like it? Move out. In the meantime, be glad she's giving you a roof over your head and keep your trap shut.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• If you are living in her home, you're going to have to put up with things like that. I'm sorry - but she is going to fall into the mother role with you (and your child), it's what moms do. You need to be appreciative of her "advice" and her allowing you to live there, and get the heck out of there ASAP. Nothing you say or do is going to change her, and you could make the situation even worse by confronting her.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:35 AM on Jun. 15, 2010