so my sons dentist recommended appliance to help close a gap in his two front teeth , are these braces or not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I'm not sure what appliance is...

Sounds more like a retainer to me.. but I'm not sure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Anonymous-I had a retainer myself. They don't do anythingof that sort
    But, asker, these are braces. My little sister had them until she was 12.
    They close gaps, yes they do.

Hope I helped!
    LadyArt

Answer by LadyArt at 2:31 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• My son had an extender because his front teeth were behind his front. It wasn't braces, but, it didn't really work. Then, he got brackets on the front four top teeth. They were braces. So, it depends. Not all appliances are braces.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:54 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Some orthodontic apparatus are truly appliances and not braces. But I'd be willing to bet that to close the gap between front teeth they will use braces or an invisiline type apparatus.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:27 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Retainers - RETAIN the current position of the teeth.
    twinsplus2more

• My daughter had a pallet expander before she got her braces.  That was not braces, but something to close a gap rather than open a space might be applied in addition to braces.  My son has a "chains," rubber bands, springs and other things added on to the wires between the teeth at vaious stages during his braces.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I had a retainer on my top teeth to close gaps. I don't know what everyone else is talking about. They weren't huge gaps, just little ones. On the bottom I had braces to close a huge gap. I had a baby tooth pulled that had no big tooth. The braces were used to close that gap.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• No it is not braces. What you are talking about is a mouth appliance of some kind. To get more specific information about what it is and what it will do ask your Dentist or Orthodontist to explain it to you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Jun. 15, 2010