Do your toddlers throw a fit over "treats" and how do you explain to them that it is something "special"??

Just as an example tonight my DD came into bed with me so we could read a story. Normally at bed time we go to her room and get her in bed, then I read a story and leave the room. As a "special treat" I let her come in my bed with me, use a flash light and read the story. I read it to her twice,and told her that was it, and it was bedtime but when we were done she flipped out and wanted more. I had to distract her to get her to forget and go to bed. I'm just having a hard time trying to explain to her that it is special and she can't freak out like that.

Another example is something like a cookie. She doesn't get food like that very often, so if she gets a cookie for a treat she gets mad because she wants more.

Is this something she will learn with time, or how can I help explain that it is a "treat" to her at this age (she is two BTW).??

Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm in the dark about this one and have a similar problem. My girl is 13 months and acts older than she is. She has fits all the time over anything and everything. I can hardly bring her out anymore without a screaming fit. And you have to give in to her in public or she will start screaming her head off like she's being tortured. Does this go away or do I have to discipline it? I'm sorry to be taking away from your question. but my girl acts the same way, there's no such thing as just one treat.
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 8:14 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• First of all when you are going to be doing something like that as a treat type deal. you must explain to her first before doing or getting this treat. Just say now this isn't going to happen all the time ,now, but every once in a while this ( what ever it is that your going to do) will happen. weather you give her something or do something special Then tell her . that is what a treat means.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:46 AM on Jun. 15, 2010