Prefer a manual pump or an electric pump?

I plan on going to work once the baby is born, and I was wondering what other moms prefer. The reviews on walmart.com say that the lasinoh(sp) manual pump is very good and even pumps faster than an electric pump. The only electric pump I can afford is the first years one.. and the reviews were horrible

MayBaby0507

Asked by MayBaby0507 at 3:00 AM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you by chance receive WIC? They usually have pumps to lend out, when I had my son prematurely and had difficulty nursing early on (had to pump exclusively for a month before I could get him to latch and nurse properly) I was able to borrow a hospital grade electric breast pump.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 3:12 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I prefer the electric pump, I had a medela and an evenflow and both worked really well. Try looking at target or babies r us. You can buy from both places online.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:13 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• well, i never used a pump. lol. my pump killed my breasts, and i wasn't getting much. after plenty of practice, i could hand exprress like a pro... getting about 6-7 oz in 10 minutes.

i had the evenflow electric.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 7:06 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I used the Ameda Purely Yours electric pump and it was GREAT!!! I got a new one for around $100 from ebay. I used it for both babies.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:59 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I have both and prefer to use the Medela Manual pump when I'm at work. It's fast, quiet and efficient. I've used it to pump 4 days a week for the past 6 months. I would recommend that one.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 8:00 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I bought the Ameda Purely Yours electric dual breast pump. I work at a Police Dept so my breaks were not always "scheduled" and I needed something where I could pump both sides at the same time (usually 10 minutes total for both sides). My pump came with 6 storage bottles bottles and a black (discreet) bag where the bottles can be placed inside and then put into a refridgerator (it looks like a lunch bag so nobody really knows it's bottles of pumped breast milk :-)

Best of Luck to you!!
    4bridges

Answer by 4bridges at 8:31 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• If you've never pumped before, start out with a hand pump. You can control the suction. I've known tons of moms who went straight away to the electrical ones and it hurt them so bad, they just gave up from the pain. When you get used to it, move up. The Medela harmony hand pump is only about 44$. That's what I used
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Electric!!! I tried using a hand pump at work and It was horrible. I just ended up squeezing it out by hand.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 9:32 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• electric is so much easier and faster and you get more milk
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 10:21 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• electric worked best for me ... I had to use my break times to eat my lunch and pump - something I couldn't do with a manual. A good tip if you are on a budget and want a hands-free way of doing it ... take a tight sports bra, and cut two slits in it just big enough for the horns to fit through and voila! I didn't use this at work, it was easier for me to hold them both on with one arm across them, but worked great at home.
    TarraJoy

Answer by TarraJoy at 10:35 AM on Jun. 15, 2010