Can I still use it/keep it on? Airplane /cell phone question

Can I keep my cell phone on, if I put it in airplane mode, and also, will I be able to use it ?

TIA

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 AM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Travel

• Yes you can use your cell phone on the plane. Not to be an ass alot of people traval for business and have to make phone calls. Have a good trip.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:13 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I have kept my phone on during many flights and never had a problem. I think generally you are informed to put it on "airplane mode" but I have never done it and have flown just fine. Have a safe trip!
    biebermommy

Answer by biebermommy at 5:09 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I thought most of the time you are up too high to get a signal?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:30 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Here is a link explaining airplane mode:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-airplane-mode-on-a-cell-phone.htm

Airplane mode is a setting on many cellphones which disables their wireless communication abilities, theoretically making them approved for use on aircraft. While in airplane mode, a phone cannot send or receive phone calls, text messages, picture messages, or video messages, and the user may not browse the Internet on the phone or use Bluetooth® devices with it. However, functions like music players, games, calendars, and so forth can continue to be used. (This is from that website)

No, you are not supposed to be making calls, texting, browsing the web, etc while flying in a plane. If you really need to make a call for the relatively short time you are on a plane, then there are airphones that you can use, though pay an arm and a leg for.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 7:45 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• You're usually asked to turn it off during take off and descent. Most phones when you turn them back on automatically go into airplane mode at the high altitude. You won't be able to use it until you reach ground for phone calls but you can use your calendar, alarm clock or whatever.
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 8:22 PM on Jun. 25, 2010