So in a relationship say the guy is working and the woman is a SAHM...

then i think the sahm should be doing majority of the housework of course,

well what about if the guy is working full time and at home while the woman is working a part time job and the woman is working part time job AND being at home with the child.

then, how should housework be split up?

the woman is only working part time... then what? how should that work out??

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:47 AM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I feel like the F/T working parent should help the P/T working parent...in a perfect world. But I know that wouldn't be the case in my home. Even when I worked F/T from 8-4:30 I still had to pick up all 3 kids and do ALL the housework. My sweet hubby is simply good at working and relaxing. Nothing else.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 9:23 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Right now my hubby is a SAHD and I work full time. Every Saturday i deep clean the house he does his daily things each day i never come home to a mess. Call me a lucky women or call me whatever you want but marriage and parenting and running a home takes a lot of work i would never or should I say we would never put that on just one of us, we built this home and family together we run it together.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:54 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Well i think if one of the parents stays at home that MAJORITY of the house work needs to be done like your husband does.

But my question is, what if one parent works full time and the other just a small part time job. then where does this all fall?

MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:57 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• ?????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:13 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• whats with the question marks?
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:14 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I am a sahm, my DH works full time, and he helps me clean. I do the majority obviously, but he gives me breaks on the weekends and will do dishes, and help pick up around the house. Just cause I'm a sahm doesn't mean I do nothing all day long. I work 244/7 I deserve a "day off" too every once in a while! on Saturday's he sleeps in late, Sunday's I sleep in late. on the days I sleep in DH will make me breakfast in bed ( I do this for him on his days) and he will clean the kitchen. I do take out the trash because he wont separate the recyclables and I will, so I usually take it out.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:16 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• in a PARTNERSHIP this should not even be an issue to figure out. a working partner be it the man or the woman, even full time, doesnt STOP being a partner and an adult in the home when thier work day outside the home is over. consider that the other partner has ALSO been busy ALL day. when hubby was working full time he would come home and take about an hour to relax then he would take over for ME and give me down time.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:18 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I'm just wondering what other think about it . Not what your experience is with being a SAHM or sahd

I was having a conversation about this recently with a friend.

I mean when one parent works partTIME out of the house and stays at home while the other parent is working a full time job and then the fulltime job parent takes over at home watching the children while the parttime parent is at work.

where should the housework fall with them? should it still be up to the part time parent to keep everything tidy majority of the time because they work "just a part time job" or should it now be 50/50 between the two parents since they really are BOTH working outside of the house regardless of how many hours.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:22 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• In the 10 years we've been married, we have both had busy careers, I was a SAHM for 8 of those years, and now I'm working full-time again as a teacher (completely different career from before having children), we have ALWAYS just done what needed to get done...period. We never had "assigned" chores or responsibilities. If laundry, dishes, sweeping/mopping, dusting, etc. needed to be done, you just did it when you noticed it.

I guess the fact that both my husband and I lived on our own for about 10 years prior to marrying, we learned if you wanted clean clothes, a clean house, to eat, or needed a button sewn on--you just did it, because no one else was going to do it for you--unless of course you hired a housekeeper or personal chef! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:07 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• OP--I think you are trying to justify each person's roles, and trying to determine the "percentage" of housework each person should be responsible for. It doesn't matter how much one partner works outside the home than the other! There are 167 hours in a week--roughly 56 of those hours are spent sleeping, and 20-60 hours spent working--including getting ready and commuting to/from. That leaves about 50+ hours to get housework done, go grocery shopping, cook, run errands, and manage/entertain the children.

In this modern age, with all of our modern conveniences and gadgets, I don't know anyone who spends 50 hours PER WEEK on housework! If everyone pitches in when needed, and you stay on top of things, it shouldn't take more than 3-5 hours per week on AVERAGE to maintain your home and take care of whatever needs to be taken care of! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:18 AM on Jun. 15, 2010