I have a question about tic disorder

I have a 6 year old son and he happens to keep on repeating sounds/words every minutes, sometimes it goes off but after a couple of minutes it goes back, he tends to create a loud noise ( like a bird) sometimes, and sometimes he keeps on breathing hard, he does this in a rhythmic pattern, it worries me so much, i tried to make a research before deciding on visiting a pedia...all of the symptoms he is showing me leads to TICS disorder...i'm so confused at the same time i feel so down, i don't want my son to suffer any pain or discomfort, sometimes before we go to sleep, he cries and says he cant control it anymore ( the noise he creates)... I wish any one could give me an advise about this.. thanks

Sheilamom30

Sheilamom30

Asked by Sheilamom30 at 6:42 AM on Jun. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It sounds like your son has Tourette's Syndrome--which manifests itself as as muscular tics and what sound like odd sounds. He CANNOT control this on his own which is leading to his frustration. Depending on the severity of Tourette's medication will help him to control his involuntary movements.

He will not feel pain from the tics themselves--only if he bumps into something as a result. And he may feel self conscious around his peers. The best thing you can do for your son is see a specialist and educate everyone around him--friends, teachers, family members about Tourette's--so they will be more likely to help him and not hurt or shun him.

Tourette's is a neurological disorder, that is caused by "over firing" of neurological impulses in the brain to various muscles in the body. Most people have experienced an occasional involuntary muscle twitch--arm, leg, eyelid, etc. In Tourette's the twitches happen frequently.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:00 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I agree with LoriKeet. I also recommend watching the Hallmark movie "Front of the Class". And looking up information on Brad Cohen. The movie is based on his life story. He grew up with Tourette's before anyone knew what it was. He got in trouble in school, but, finally someone diagnosed him and he stopped getting in trouble. He grew up to be an award winning grade-school teacher. He became "Teacher of the Year" in Atlanta.

Ir your son has Tourette's, it isn't the end of the world, he can go on to do great things. And those that I mentioned will help him feel better.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:44 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I'm so sorry, you have to take him to a specialist, but first his pediatrician for a referral probally.Keep your head up, he needs you mama!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Take him to your pediatrician. Never rely on information found on the internet. Your pediatrician is the best qualified to help with this. It sounds like he'll need to eventually see a pediatric neurologist as it does sounds like Tourette's.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Jun. 15, 2010