2 questions

my baby is a week old today and hasnt pooped since once yesterday should i be concerned? what can i do?
also took baby to dr yesterday for a check up the dr said he has thrush and called in some medicine.well my boyfriend and i havent given him any medicine because he looks fine.baby had just taken a bottle seconds before dr walked in and still had some in his mouth.how can i make sure he doesnt have thrush or does have it i dont want to give him medicine unless he really has it and needs it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Unless you baby seems to be in pain or having a really hard time passing the poop, he is fine, don't worry. If your baby still has the thrush looking mouth right before his next bottle, then, assume that he has it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:12 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• thanks
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Give him the meds. Sometimes you can't always see the thrush, but it's still there. My son had it in his throat and I told him he cried every time he ate. He couldn't see it without looking far down there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• If he starts to act uncomfortable ie: cries out for no apparent reason, cries and keeps curling into 'fetal position" ( you can usually tell when their tummy hurts) and so on, then he is probably constipated. I put 1oz of dark Karo syrup (must use the dark, the molasses is what does the trick) in my kids bottle 1x daily and it kept them regular. If I didn't do this, they would become constipated and very uncomfortable. You may have to adjust the dose and frequency as all kids are different, but this was the best way I found to manage it. Note: I didn't have to start this untill they were put on formula.

With the whole thrush situation, It sounds like you don't trust your dr. If not, you really need to find one that you do trust, it makes all the difference, if you're not both on the same team it can get frusterating!

I hope this helps, Good Luck!
    JenB77

Answer by JenB77 at 8:43 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• If you don't trust your dr. You need to change doctors.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• thanks everyone. yes i am not too crazy about the dr. we have had rounds with her when our daughter was younger and we finally put our foot down,said a few things and she calmed down on running tests and doing blood work for no reason. i would love to find a new dr trouble is i dont know a good one and afraid that i change i may get someone worse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Well, you have to find out for yourself a good Dr. I have changed a few times. Now I am very comfortable with my kid's Doctor. Look around you don't want to be stuck with a doctor like that. I had a doctor who did a strep and flu test everytime we went in. I demanded that to stop because mine didn't have the flu and it hurts to shove that stupid thing up the nose. I changed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• www.lactinv.com is a link that i found at kellymom.com about thrush, and there are some pictures there too.
    don't worry about the poo at all. if your baby is breast feeding (still eating) then she is not constipated. if you want you can bicycle her legs, or give her a warm bath.
    congratulations on your new baby!
    our kids see their chiropractor once a week to keep the pediatricians away : )
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:26 AM on Jun. 15, 2010