7 1/2 yr old DD will not tie shoes!

How can I get my daughter to tie her shoes? She is getting older and shows no interest in learning. I tried to show her but of course it goes through one ear and out the other. So I suggested to her to ask one of her friends at recess or playtime to take a couple minutes to show her and she started crying talking about she wants her recess time to play. I told her she don't have to use her whole play time learning just a couple minutes. I am at wits end on this.

How am I supposed to teach her if she don't want to learn?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Jun. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My mom teaches 2nd grade, and one of her kids couldn't tie their shoes last week. I thought it was odd, but shes says it's completely normal not to know how to do it at that age. (He was 8). She'll learn eventually. Just keep trying with her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• It could be she is embarrassed and doesn't want her friends and the other kids to know she doesn't know how. Get her tie shoes and get rid of the others. Or make it part of her after school homework. No outdoor play or tv until she has practiced for a period of time.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 8:30 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Then buy her slip ons. Don't traumatize the girl. Just learn to compromise. She'll learn. Sometimes they do better learning from other kids rather than from parents and they will ask or learn when they are ready

Answer by admckenzie at 9:12 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• get another adult that is patient to teach her. Someone other than you and your dh
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:14 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Velcro! :)
    Raezilla

Answer by Raezilla at 9:30 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Buy her slip ons or velcro. It's summertime - even sandals or flip flops. She will eventually learn when she decides she wants to.

Answer by missanc at 11:28 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• actually not so uncommon my 7 1/2 yr old barely started getting the hang of it. If you think about it it's quite a process and it's confusing for them they forget the order and then it becomes frustrating she'll catch on when she's ready just like she walked and potty trained ect. when she was ready. MY 13 yr old has a hard time telling time on a regular clock w hands it has to be digital but I found out it's not that uncommon either at 13. She will pick it up eventually just try not to push so hard she completly loses interest.
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 11:35 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Isn't that why they invented velcro, lol.
    Just kidding.
    My 7 1/2yo can't tie shoes. But she doesn't have any shoes with laces so it's never been an issue. I taught my son when he was 6 1/2 but sitting him in my lap and slowly showing him with his fingers under mine how I tie using the method I normally use (no bunny ears). It took him a couple of hours but he eventually got it.
    He didn't have a choice since he wore dress shoes to school and they all come with laces. His 1st grade teacher wouldn't tie his shoes any more.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:22 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• just get shoes that don't tie... not everyone learns to tie their shoes... its sorta like a learning disability... I was like that my little brother (3 years younger) knew how to tie shoes YEARS before I did (I also took forever to learn how to do a braid and still can't do french braids)
    In the mean time work on it a bit at a time ... even with things other than shoes like a belt or a ribbon etc.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 2:17 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Only get shoes that tie, so she HAS to learn how to do it.
    Anonymous