Do you get offended if someone wants to know where you are from or if you hear someone asking someone that?

For example: I met a girl who speaks spanish and i ask her where she is from. Is it rude to ask as soon as you meet the person?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 8:29 AM on Jun. 15, 2010 in About CafeMom

• I don't think so. There are alot of other questions that are ruder.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 8:32 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• With all of the controversy with immigrants right now, I think I would think twice before asking that question. It could be threatening for some.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• no I dont think its rude, sounds like you were just trying to make conversation.
    MummaMel

Answer by MummaMel at 8:34 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• no, it's not rude. I usually say somthing like "i Love your accent, where are you from?" Most people have a little pride in their country, so a lot of people will gladly talk about what their country of origin is.

"With all of the controversy with immigrants right now, I think I would think twice before asking that question. It could be threatening for some"

that is the funniest & craziest thing i heard so far today....lol
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:47 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• my only problem with it is, i don't know how to answer that question. lol. i grew up moving around a lot... so i tend to say, "in what sense??" or i'll say, "everywhere... would you like to be more specific?" then if they ask where i was born i'll tell them germany, but if they ask where i consider my home i say uganda... my accent is hard for anyone to guess. HA! that seems to be the first thing people notice, and the last thing they ask about.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 8:47 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I was only asking because when i asked her she looked at me like i was rude and then explained away how she was from Mexico but her dh was from Guatamala (sp?)..then went on telling me how long they've lived here. In a way i think she was thinking i was thinking she was illegal but it was nothing like that at all. I just thought they looked different (than most spanish people i know) and wanted to know their background.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:57 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• No I don't think it is rude.  I'm an immigrant and I have a soft mix of the British and Canadian accents and people often ask me where I'm from.  It doesn't bother me at all.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:02 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I don't think it's rude. Just conversation. I get asked this all the time, since I don't have a southern accent. The only annoying part is everytime I tell them the next question is "HOw did you end up here" Annoying, I just get tired of being asked that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I live in PA but I'm originally from SC and I love it when someone asks me where I'm from and how I ended up here!! I'm proud of my Southern heritage and my accent. I like being different.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:12 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I used to get offended because I have a southern drawal, and live in the Northest. I just don't like the way it's worded, "Where are you from?" To that I will answer "planet Earth, how about you?" But if someone were to ask it differently, like "I detect a southern accent, where are you from?", I'm ok with that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Jun. 15, 2010