My 8 1/2 month old still won't sleep through the night.

I am so exhausted. My 8 1/2 month old little girl will not sleep through the night. She is such a happy baby, she just will not sleep. I feel like I have tried EVERYTHING, and nothing works. I have even tried just letting her cry (as hard as that is for me....) but she just gets super upset and pukes... So thats not an option! Im stumped at this point and very very tired. What should I try?

MrsGraves09

Asked by MrsGraves09 at 8:44 AM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She may be teething. Try giving her motrin. For me I have created my own problem, my 15 month old won't stay asleep unless I am snuggled right next to him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• As you can see, sleep is a developmental stage that we all meet are our own time. It seems as though she is not ready yet. Just hang in there and it will happen soon enough. If you push it may take her longer.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• yes she may be teething.and plus i have a 9month old baby girl and she still wakes up 2-3 times a night, for a diaper change and a bottle, but she wont be up for long, i usually pat her belly until she drifts back to sleep.
    oh and another thing, when you are putting her to bed, keep the lights dim and the noise low, that way she'll know its time to sleep, and when she goes to sleep, keep eveything soft so she knows its time to sleep and not time to wake up and play
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 8:56 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• My son liked to sleep in his vibrating bouncer or the swing....one of the only ways to get him to sleep back then. He also loved having his sound of the womb bear in the crib with him. Loud music also helped.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 8:57 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Mine is almost 11 months and still doesn't sleep through the night most nights. i don't do the cry it out stuff- i tried it once and couldnt do it again. don't know what to tell you other than your not the only one!!
    kh717

Answer by kh717 at 8:57 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• LOL, loud music helped?? If we are not quiet mine wakes up with any small noise. Mine has yet to sleep through the night.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Yes loud music. I assume it is because we always listened to really loud music when I was pregnant. Not all babies like silence...
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 9:08 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Let me start by saying I am sorry to all of you mommy's who dont get to sleep either. But i am also relieved that it is not just my child. She is teething but we dont have any issues during the day with it. And I am not one to let her cry it out either. We also try to keep it almost silent in our house at night. I guess we will just have to hold out and see what happens in the near future. Thank you all for relating....
    MrsGraves09

Answer by MrsGraves09 at 9:09 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I'm sorry, but she sounds like a totally normal baby. Each of mine were like that until they were about 18 months, maybe older even. I know that seems like a long time from now for you, but it will go fast. She will reach the sleep milestone eventually. Just like walking or talking, you can't force a baby to do something they are not developmentally ready to do. Hang in there, feed her, change her, cuddle her and she will sleep longer when she's ready. I know it's hard but you'll get through this and you'll be fine.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 10:14 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Feed her when she's hungry. There is no magic solution because babies get hungry at night. You're baby will be a year old and sleeping through the night before you know it. In the words of my pediatrician when I talked to him about this same problem with my first baby, "this is just something you have to push through."
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:24 AM on Jun. 15, 2010