Help!!! Do you have a pool? Do you regulate the chemicals?

This is our first year with a pool and regulating the chemicals is a pain. We were having trouble getting the chlorine levels up and my mom bought a 5 lb container of sanitizer which is the chlorine. It called for .6 oz per 1,000 gallons. Our pool is a 30,000 gallon pool. My mom miss read it and thought it said 6 oz per 1,000 gallons so she put the whole container in the pool. My question is what can we add to get the chlorine levels down now?

luvmygrlz

Asked by luvmygrlz at 9:28 AM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If your chlorine levels are too high, the sun will eat it up eventually. Take a sample to the local pool store to have it tested. Just to be sure the levels aren't such that it is dangerous for you to swim in. 30,000 gallons is like a 20x40 inground pool...it is huge. Are you sure of the amount of water your pool holds? What size is it? Above or in ground? I work for a local pool installer and I have a pool. PM me if you want, but be sure you have the size and water amounts right. Not many people have a pool that large.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:18 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• The best thing to do is to dilute the chlorine.  Pump out some of the water and refill with fresh.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:35 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• We got rid of all the chemicals this year and switched to a saltwater system. The system turns the salt into chlorine, and monitors the chlorine level in the pool for us. If it ever gets low, the red light comes on and you just add a bag of salt. It's been awesome! We haven't had to add anything to it at all this year and we have had no trace of algae! I think it cost us about $300, which is almost what we spent in chemicals last year. I highly recommend it!
    BobMariah

Answer by BobMariah at 1:11 PM on Jun. 15, 2010