Cake help!!!

My MIL is turning 50 today and we were going to suprise her at work with a black cake with black icing. I bought some cake mix and black dye but it's all turning purple!! I'm out of dye and I don't have time to go to the store. But now I have two big purple cakes with pruple icing! I found some of my food color but I just have the basic colors. Any ideas on how I can save this? (I can't even pull it off like O purple is her fav color because green is her fav color lol)

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 9:28 AM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• what if you added some red
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:32 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I tried searching for an idea this is all I could find: Because it takes such a strong concentration of color to produce black, it is easier to buy black color. Mixing black color IS possible, but you need to use very strong paste colors and a LOT of it which makes the recipe bitter. A pinch of salt will help with the bitterness, but the only way to get a good strong black is with a LOT of color, especially when using gel color. Be careful with black. It will stain just about anything it touches.
    Use white icing with a combination of royal blue, red, orange and lemon. Or, start with a dark brown color or chocolate icing (made with melted chocolate and/or black or Dutch process cocoa) and add black. I Just keep adding more black color SLOWLY until you reach your desired color. Remember colors darken as they sit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I don't have a way to correct this now, This is just an FYI when you need to make deep or dark colors your best bet is powered food coloring. It doesn't take as much and you don't have the bitter taste. Good luck
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 9:47 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• All I know to say is .. don't add too much food coloring, as it will make the cake mushy.
    Sorry that I can't help out any more then that.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:58 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Buy some black edible or silk flowers to place on top to cover the purpleness.
    Go to a party store or a professional bakery that specializes in cakes to see if either of them have some cake covering ideas. I'm thinking that a bakery that makes professional cakes may be able to dye some fondant black for you so you can just lay it over the whole cake, but the cake has to be sturdy as the fondant is kind of a heavy material. Fondant can be eaten, but some people don't like to eat it, but if you just place it on top then people can peel it off when they get their piece of cake.
    I wish you the best!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:39 AM on Jun. 15, 2010