For Nursing Moms.....

Our second son is 7 1/2 months old and is not sleeping threw the night. He used to be but then he kept getting a cold so that messed everything up. He goes to bed between 8:30 and 9 and wakes up 2 or 3 times a night to nurse and I put him in the bed with me so I can try to get some sleep. He does eat baby food and like everyone says I have tried giving him baby cereal before bed but that does nothing. I just dont know what to do, with our first son he was sleeping threw the night when he was 2 months old. Should I just let him cry it out like our Pedi says or just keep doing what I'm doing? Any advice would be great

malibu79

Asked by malibu79 at 9:39 AM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son was close to a year before he slept through the night, sorry
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:41 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Keep doing what you are doing. It will come in time. My guy was 13 months before he slept through the night.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Maybe try to just cut back on the amount of time nursing untill he is getting the bulk of his calories during the day.
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 9:47 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• When baby is hungry, feed him. I've had 3 BF babies and none of them made it through the night without nursing until they were around a year old. That can be very normal. A 7 month old could easily nurse 2 (or during a growth spurt 3) times a night. Babies get hungry and thirsty (don't forget breast milk is also his source of hydration) during the night. In the past, moms thought nothing of feeding their babies throughout the night and even sharing a bed with them. This whole stick them in a crib and let them cry is a new notion created by modern society that is very parent centered instead of baby centered.

This time goes by so fast. My 3 yr old and 2 yr old sleep through the night now and it seems like just yesterday I was nursing them throughout the night. Your son is 7 months old. In just 5 short months he will be a yr old and then you can worry about getting him to sleep through the night.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:59 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Boys tend to be hungrier than girls. It can be very normal for a boy to need to eat once a night all the way until 18 months. For now, nurse him when he gets hungry and if your son still gets hungry during the night after a yr old, you can always offer a snack. At 13 months, I started giving my son a sippy of water at bedtime and when he woke hungry (at 3 am like clockwork until he was 18 months) I'd give him a little snack bowl of something safe for him to munch on like Baby Mum-Mums, or those yogurt disolving bites by Gerber, or Puffed Corn snacks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Ignore your pedi's advice. It's not going to make any one in your family feel better to have an infant CIO.
    My first woke up every couple hours until she was almost 18 months old. Our 1st pedi said to let her CIO, and it felt wrong so we ignored that advice and switched drs. My second slept 8+ hours from the time she was about 8 weeks until maybe 5 months. Then she woke up at least 3 times every night. I nursed her & cuddled her, we co-slept part of the night, and we got through it in a few months. Our current dr said it's normal (which we knew) and babies often just need a drink or snack during the night. They are not waking out of habit like some will tell you. It could be teething, or that he needs a snack or some cuddling. Until they are older, their wants and needs are pretty much the same, and you should do what feels right to you to comfort him. So many of us have been there. Sleep will come in time.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 10:07 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• "Boys tend to be hungrier than girls. "

That's just dumb. Every baby gets hungry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• My son just started sleeping through the night at 11 months ... and I think the only reason he did was because we started adding fats to his foods (organic grass-fed butter, coconut oil, etc.) - fruits, veggies, and cereal only hold one over so long. It's worth doing some research to find out if you feel comfortable doing that. We did tons of reading up on it before we did it, because it goes against what our culture says is good:) Fats are important though, as long as they are a good kind of fat. Good luck!
    TarraJoy

Answer by TarraJoy at 10:30 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Just keep doing what you are doing. My breast fed babies did not sleep through the night consistently until about 13 months old. You could try night weaning if he is waking to nurse and see if that helps. I personally did not night wean, but have heard it helps. We are very against cry it out at our house so that would NEVER be an option in my book.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:46 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I think you should continue what you've been doing. My daughter is almost 7 months & wake up 2-3 times a night to nurse. I would never let her cry it out. I can't believe a pediatrician would recommend that...so mean.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 10:51 AM on Jun. 15, 2010