Cleveland!! Hey, what should we do??? no bashing!

Kids want to go to a big concert (Warped Tour) @ Tower City. NO WAY are they traveling 2 1/2 hours from home alone for 2 nights! SO, mom (70) and I are going to Cleveland. We are staying at the downtown Hampton. While the boys are at the concert (it's an all day one), mom and I are going to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I have been there several times, but she has never been, and I know she will enjoy it.
OK there's the facts now for the questions: Is it safe for the teens to walk from the Hampton to Tower City, or should they drive the few blocks to park closer? Is the under-ground mall nice to look through, or just a bunch of outragously priced shops that we can't afford to step into? What is close to the Hampton that has good food? ANY tips would be great! What should we avoid? What should we not miss? Don't let mom's age throw you off too much, she isn't NEAR 70, mentally!
THANKS!!!!

lauriebash

Asked by lauriebash at 10:14 AM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Travel

• I grew up in Cleveland, I live in Strongsville now...just about 35 minutes out of Cleveland.
    I have never been in the Hampton, lol..I know..sad but true. I guess people who live somewhere don't do as much as the people that come to visit,lol.
    I would say if the kids woul dhave to walk at night..THEY SHOULD DRIVE as close as possible to thier destination. Although, parking downtown can be CRAZY,especially when an event is going on. If at all possible, what I would do is drop them off right where they need to be and go pick them up later. Taking a cab would be even better.
    The same goes for you and mom too. There are some dangerous people downtown. I'm from here and I wouldnt go walking down there anywhere by myself at night or just let the kids go or just with my mom.
    Indoors at an event..like a concert or going to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame..thats all good..its just the getting there and back thats risky.Have fun!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:27 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I know where the Hampton is, and it's not that far. They could walk if they wanted. It's not bad and it is safe. You just need to pay attention to your surroundings like any other place. Tower city is beautiful but not a place I would hang out anymore. Too many teens.

You can also visit University Circle. Beautiful! Many museums to see. Visit the business district downtown as well. The science center is next to the Rock-n-Roll Hall of fame.

The first poster IMO is exaggerating a bit. I have lived in Cleveland all my life (37 years), never had any problems downtown, ever!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• lol..I'm not exaggerating and I've lived in Cleveland for 27 years then I moved to the suberbs so my son could go to a better school system.
    And when I lived in Cleveland, I lived very close to Downtown. I had to right the RTA bus back and forth to school on a daily basis, with a stop at Tower City and had to walk to 6th street and catch another bus. I've been followed, I've had a gun pulled out on me,I've been hit in the head with a pole,I've seen two different people get mugged, I seen a guy beat up and thrown through the front of the RTA bus window. And other countless smaller incidents.
    During the middle of the day when..its not so bad because there are lots of people around,the cops are out all the stores are open but you get there in the early hours of the morning or after dark and it changes.Different people have had differnent experiences,I'm sure.But for me..I'm telling ya, get a cab. Safest way to go.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:58 AM on Jun. 15, 2010