If someone dies and is cremated, do you still buy a plot and headstone at the cemetary?

I'm asking out of curiousity. Both of my parents want to be cremated when they die, and I'm just curious if we would still buy a plot and headstone... I'm just not sure how it all works.

Thanks ladies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• That is a good question, and I have always wondered the same.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Some cemeteries have little chapels with mosoleum-type plots in the walls where you can contain ashes. That's how the one down the road from us deals with cremated remains. My mom plans on having my uncle's ashes buried in the same plot where their parents are when his time comes (he is currently in a nursing home not doing so well, and he keeps talking about dying). She just has to get approval to add a second headstone to an existing plot, and I think it has to be one that's level with the ground.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 10:35 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• My father was cremated and my mother will be.  They bought a wall niche with a plaque in the local cemetery for their urns, but my FIL has my MIL's ashes and when he passes away, the family will scatter them.  Some people just keep the urns.  It is really up to the individual and their families.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:39 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Depends If you want to. My father was cremated and we have him buried just outside the mosoleum in plots designed for cremations and my sister had her first child who lived only 1 month added to his plot later. I also know people who keep the ashes in an urn at home.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:40 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• You can have the "cremains" as they are called in the business interred in many different ways. In a mausoleum, a burial plot with a marker, many cemeteries have benches or other types of memorial items that the cremains may be interred. It is purely a family preference.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Both of my maternal grandparents were cremated. They were burried next to each other in the same cemetary in their urns with a flat headstone overtop. You can also scatter the remains over the ocean, over the grand canyon, or a place that the family member loved. Like a fishing spot they frequented. You can also put their ashes in a necklace, or set the urn on your mantel. It's the family's preference.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:47 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• all above is right, it really depends on there last wishes.. what do they want? some want to be cremated and have a plot and stone. i told dh i want a nice urn to be put in but thats all i know for myself still figureing out if i want a plot to be put in so people can visit or sit ( im weird lol ) or if i just want to be in a nice urn and put on the mantel. i have said dont put me in the closet..lol. my gradparent were cremated and they wished to have there ashes spread in there yard, but my grandmother did make her and grampy a head stone that was place in there yard. she engraved my grampys and when she passed her son finished her engraveing. its a place to sit and chat w/ them when u feel the need. i joke w/ my dh and tell him hes becoming a dimond ring... he dosent care right now. its something u end up talken about w/ that person to make sure u do what they would like. there last wishes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I wouldnt buy one for a cemetary. I would maybe like to have a small memorial stone to keep in a garden or something
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:51 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• It depends on what they want and what you want to pay. My dad was cremated and his urn was put in the same cemetery plot as his mom. My x's uncle's urn was put in his sister's casket when she died so they could be buried together and save the money. You don't have to bury them. You can scatter their ashes, you can keep their urn on the mantle, you can do whatever you want.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:58 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• My father was creamated aand then his ashes were buried in his family's plot. He, his dad, his nephew (who was stillborn) & his sister (who died in infancy) are all buried there. My dad did not want to be cremated, he wanted his body donated to Science, but his siblings and mom thought with their emotions and I was so distraught and unable to think after he died that I didn't even comprehend what they were doing until it was done.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 11:03 AM on Jun. 15, 2010