Would you leave your 7 year old alone at a pool party?

My son has been invited to a classmate's pool party from 1-4 this weekend.
Would you drop off and leave, or would you stay?
I don't have a problem dropping off at someone's home.
My gut tells me to stay because #1, he doesn't swim very well and its a pool party and #2, the host doesn't know my son very well and how will she keep an eye on him?
Is that too hellicopterish of me?
I certainly wouldn't join the party, but I would sit on the sidelines and read or something.

mrsderekjeter

Asked by mrsderekjeter at 10:35 AM on Jun. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• BE HELICOPTERISH.... That's your heart walking around outside of your body... you CAN'T be too careful... and I'm sure the mom would appreciate the extra set of eyes. Have fun!!:)
    kimandadan

Answer by kimandadan at 2:25 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I would not drop him off and leave. At a pool party, I would imagine the more eyes on the kids in the water, the better.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:36 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Is it at their house or a public pool or hotel where there would be a lifeguard? If you aren't comfortable with him staying alone because of the swimming aspect, just let the parents of the birthday kid know, and they will probably allow you to stay. I think a party situation where the host parents are concerned with the cake and games & all might be too busy for them to really watch a dozen swimming kids closely. I don't think it's too helicopter-ish to want to make sure he doesn't drown. Just stick to the sidelines.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 10:40 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• If it were me, I would ask the mom that was hosting the party.
    I would talk to her and make sure she knew that my son wasn't that great of a swimmer and that if she thought it was a good idea that I could stay and help supervise my child.
    When parents host a party like that, most are aware of the dangers and she probably has extra adult hands and eyes to help her out with the party to make sure nothing bad were to happen. She would probably appreciate your concern.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:41 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• If your gut is telling you to stay, then stay. Especially if he doesn't swim very well.
    However, I personally would stay for a little while and get to know the mom. Explain to her that he doesn't swim very well and he'd need to be watched carefully. Then I would make my exit. I would trust the host to do their job and watch the children. Unless my instincts told me otherwise.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:43 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Thanks, everyone.
    The invitation does specify that there will be a lifeguard on duty.
    mrsderekjeter

Answer by mrsderekjeter at 10:43 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• no way!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:43 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Maybe I'll scoot out for a bit, after the swimming part is over?
    mrsderekjeter

• I would talk to the Mom. If you stay I think it would be rude to sit in the side lines and read. I would tell the Mom he doesn't swim well and if I should stay.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I'd certainly help, if she needed me to. I just meant that I wouldn't be imposing - expecting her to feed or entertain me or anything.
    mrsderekjeter

Answer by mrsderekjeter at 10:51 AM on Jun. 15, 2010