I need help writting a letter to my Ex-Step Dad...

My mom and (step) dad were together my whole life, they werer never married and now they are not together anymore. I still concider him my dad, and I see him from time to time. My mother is not able to help me, I am stuck in a small rut and I need about $2000, to fix my car. I haven't talked to my mom about this but I want to write a letter asking my step dad for a loan. He is a successful business man and I know he has it, but I just feel bad for asking for help. I wish I didnt have to, Im a young single mom and right now I just dont make enough, Ive done everything to cut back my expenses, But I got in this wreak and I dont have enough to fix my car. I am just really nervous, and embarrassed about asking.. any tips? thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• I would send just a regular letter saying hello and asking how he is first. When he responds and asks how you are then I'd mention the trouble with the car. Let him offer to help you. Don't actually ask him for the money.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:38 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• OMG, do not write that man and ask him for money! Sell some things if you have to. You should feel guilty. They weren't married, therefore he was never your step dad. Don't contact him now because he has money and you are in a rut! Get a second job.

Take a bus, my mother did and she was single rasing 3 kids.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I agree. Don't go at it first with the "Can I barrow money". Contact him and see how he's doing. See what he's been up to. Talk about your family. Talk about the wreck, etc. But don't ask for money right away. Let him offer to help you. Like admckenzie said.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:40 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• have you spoken to him at all since they split or tried to keep a friendship with him? If not then i think it would be very rude to just go ask. I would tell you no.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:41 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I agree with admckenzie and JazzlikeMraz, except I think you should talk to him in person (or by phone if you live far away). It is strange to send a letter if you speak to him on a regular basis. If you don't speak to him, then I wouldn't ask.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• You don't talk to him, do you OP! If I'm right, that is beyond tacky!

Get a job!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• If you haven't maintained a relationship since the split, don't do it.

If you have then I think you talk to him in person and ask him for a loan, and tell him how you will pay him back. I'm sure he thinks of you as his daughter as well if he helped to raise you.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:13 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I just think I would leave him alone. If you haven't maintained a relationship with him this would be very rude. And if I were him I would have to tell you no. Get a loan from the bank, sell some things that are not a necessity. Do it on your own, you'll be glad you did layer on.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:56 PM on Jun. 20, 2010